Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worker’s comp medical collection

tag
justrock
Frequent Contributor

Worker’s comp medical collection

My son is a NYS Corrections Officer.  He was in the Academy in 2012, it is a "live In' situation Monday to Friday and home on weekends.  He woke up one morning with a red inflamed eyeball.  His commanding officer ordered him to the local emergency room to rule out pink eye, which could have been devastating to the class.  The emergency room doctor ruled out pink eye and diagnosed a reaction to chemical weapons training he'd had two days earlier.  He'd been sprayed in the face with something (mace I think).  He went back to the Academy and continued his training.

Fast forward to June 2014.  He goes to the bank to refinance his car, I had cosigned for him and needed my name off the loan so I could buy a house. (DTI issue).  The loan officer pulled his report and there is a $500 collection from his trip to the hospital.  He called the collection agency and got ragged out, they told him he was the patient and the bill was his responsibility.  They won't remove the item and hung up on him.

This bill should have been submitted to worker's compensation for payment.  The Corrections Department is giving him lip service about how to even get this paid let alone how to get it off his credit report. 

I know he can use the HIPPA method, but that would require him paying a bill he shouldn't have to pay.  

Any suggestions for getting this removed?

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Re: Worker’s comp medical collection

he needs to submit proof to collection agency that it was workmens comp related along with a dispute letter....mean while find out who handles wc claims and call them, let them know situation.....happened to me very recently

Message 2 of 3
justrock
Frequent Contributor

Re: Worker’s comp medical collection

@juggalo9er wrote:

he needs to submit proof to collection agency that it was workmens comp related along with a dispute letter....mean while find out who handles wc claims and call them, let them know situation.....happened to me very recently

Thanks.  I'll tell him to do that.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.