Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Re-building - Have a few questions

tag
Catatonico
Valued Member

Working on Re-building - Have a few questions

I am working on re-building my credit, and have a few questions on some of the items appearing.  Most of the baddies have dropped off.  There's still a couple that are hanging in there.  The below were pulled from my Experian report, which is my lowest score, and the one that is showing the most issues.  I'm using an older report that I have for the info, but it pretty much matches what the lender went over with me.  I'll have a copy of the lender's report in about a week.

G M A C
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Mar 2015.

Date Opened:  06/2006
Reported Since:  08/2006
Date of Status:  05/2008
Last Reported:  08/2010
Type:  Auto Loan
Terms:  72 Months
Monthly Payment:  $0
Responsibility:  Individual

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $31,638
High Balance:  NA
Recent Balance:  $15,180 as of 08/2010
Recent Payment:  $0

Creditor's Statement: Special handling - contact subscriber for additional information.

Payment History shows CO in June 2008 and CO in August 2010 (no payments were made between those dates)

HOME LOAN SERVICE/BANK OF AMERIC

Status Details: This item remained unchanged from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2009.

Date Opened:  02/2006
Reported Since:  03/2006
Date of Status:  10/2010
Last Reported:  10/2010
Type:  Mortgage
Terms:  15 Years

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $26,400
Recent Balance:  NA
Recent Payment:  NA

Creditor's Statement: Account transferred to another lender.

Payment History shows CO in May 2008 and CLS in October 2010

MERRICK BANK

Status: Account charged off. $1,285 written off. $1,286 past due as of May 2012.
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jan 2015.
This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2009.

Date Opened:  09/2006
Reported Since:  09/2006
Date of Status:  09/2008
Last Reported:  05/2012
Type:  Credit card
Terms:  NA

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $750
High Balance:  $1,286
Recent Balance:  $1,286 as of 05/2012

Payment History shows CO May 2012, May 2010, Feb 2010, May 2009, Apr 2009, Sep 2008 (No Payments were made since March 2007) 

AFNI

Original Creditor:  VERIZON WIRELESS

Status: Collection account. $1,192 past due as of Nov 2012.
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jan 2016.
This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Nov 2012.

Date Opened:  11/2011
Reported Since:  11/2012
Date of Status:  11/2012
Last Reported:  11/2012
Type:  Debt Buyer
Terms:  1 Months

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $1,192
Recent Balance:  $1,192 as of 11/2012

Your Statement:  Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement of the Fair Credit Reporting Act).

As far as I can remember/tell... most of these are at or nearing their SOL's and their drop-off dates are within the next year.  The lender has advised me to contact them to either get them taken care of (not an option... not enough money to do that), but I'm thinking I'll be in a better position if I just let the SOL's toll and let them drop-off my credit report.  I can use that time to save up more for a down payment.  I'm also hesitant to contact them because I have not heard from any of these creditors AT ALL and I'd much rather let sleeping dogs lie for the moment.  My husband, on the other hand, agrees with the lender and wants me to begin contacting.  I control the finances, so I'm choosing not to listen to him right now until I hear what you guys have to say on the subject.

AFNI/Verizon... yeah... that was one month's cell phone bill... and it was all me, unfortunately.  I'm thinking of trying a PFD on that.  The OC isn't showing on my credit reports.  

I also have an open judgement that was filed 01/2009 and paid off sometime in 2010 or 2011 (sorry... can't remember which, exactly).  It is showing as satisfied on TU and EQ.  I'm guessing there's not a lot I can do with that now, is there?

I also have a Chapter 7 BK filed in Nov 2004... but I know that's dropping off later this year... and all the accounts that were included in it have been gone from my reports for a couple of years at least.

Once I have the lender's reports, I may have more questions... but the listed accounts are the ones that, for some reason, are showing up in my DTI (I'm guessing another report has monthly payments listed on them, or something), so I wanted to tackle these first.

I haven't had any late payments in... 3 or 4 years, I think?  All of my current accounts have perfect payment history.  Car note - opened 11/2011; Cap1 Visa and Cap1 MC - each over a year old; WalMart - almost a year; Kohl's - almost a year; TiresPlus CC - 1 month.  I want another credit card, and have gotten offers, but I don't particularly want to pay a huge annual fee, so I'm waiting.  My credit utilization is at near 80%, so I have a lot of work to do on those, but only one of the cards is over $1000, so I should be able to pay them down in the next few months.

I sincerely apologize for the long-winded post.  Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read!

Keep on keeping on!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Working on Re-building - Have a few questions

Bump for help Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Catatonico wrote:

I am working on re-building my credit, and have a few questions on some of the items appearing.  Most of the baddies have dropped off.  There's still a couple that are hanging in there.  The below were pulled from my Experian report, which is my lowest score, and the one that is showing the most issues.  I'm using an older report that I have for the info, but it pretty much matches what the lender went over with me.  I'll have a copy of the lender's report in about a week.

G M A C
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Mar 2015.

Date Opened:  06/2006
Reported Since:  08/2006
Date of Status:  05/2008
Last Reported:  08/2010
Type:  Auto Loan
Terms:  72 Months

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $31,638
Recent Balance:  $15,180 as of 08/2010

Creditor's Statement: Special handling - contact subscriber for additional information.

Payment History shows CO in June 2008 and CO in August 2010 (no payments were made between those dates)

That's a pretty good amount there.  It's on life support and will be gone next year.  I'd let it time out, then maybe make a small token offer to have it settled.

HOME LOAN SERVICE/BANK OF AMERIC

Status Details: This item remained unchanged from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2009.

Date Opened:  02/2006
Reported Since:  03/2006
Date of Status:  10/2010
Last Reported:  10/2010
Type:  Mortgage
Terms:  15 Years

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $26,400
Recent Balance:  NA
Recent Payment:  NA

Creditor's Statement: Account transferred to another lender.

Payment History shows CO in May 2008 and CLS in October 2010

Judging by the Co in May 2008, this will be excluded early next year too.  Large amount, let it go, then again, maybe make a small settlement after it's passed the CRTP.

MERRICK BANK

Status: Account charged off. $1,285 written off. $1,286 past due as of May 2012.
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jan 2015.
This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Apr 2009.

Date Opened:  09/2006
Reported Since:  09/2006
Date of Status:  09/2008
Last Reported:  05/2012
Type:  Credit card
Terms:  NA

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $750
High Balance:  $1,286
Recent Balance:  $1,286 as of 05/2012

Payment History shows CO May 2012, May 2010, Feb 2010, May 2009, Apr 2009, Sep 2008 (No Payments were made since March 2007) 

Should be falling off, or may have already since you said this was an old account.

AFNI

Original Creditor:  VERIZON WIRELESS

Status: Collection account. $1,192 past due as of Nov 2012.
Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Jan 2016.
This item was updated from our processing of your dispute in Nov 2012.

Date Opened:  11/2011
Reported Since:  11/2012
Date of Status:  11/2012
Last Reported:  11/2012
Type:  Debt Buyer
Terms:  1 Months

Credit Limit/Original Amount:  $1,192
Recent Balance:  $1,192 as of 11/2012

Your Statement:  Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement of the Fair Credit Reporting Act).

I'd offer a PFD at maybe 50% and see what they say.  It's old too.

As far as I can remember/tell... most of these are at or nearing their SOL's and their drop-off dates are within the next year.  The lender has advised me to contact them to either get them taken care of (not an option... not enough money to do that), but I'm thinking I'll be in a better position if I just let the SOL's toll and let them drop-off my credit report.  I can use that time to save up more for a down payment.  I'm also hesitant to contact them because I have not heard from any of these creditors AT ALL and I'd much rather let sleeping dogs lie for the moment.  My husband, on the other hand, agrees with the lender and wants me to begin contacting.  I control the finances, so I'm choosing not to listen to him right now until I hear what you guys have to say on the subject.

AFNI/Verizon... yeah... that was one month's cell phone bill... and it was all me, unfortunately.  I'm thinking of trying a PFD on that.  The OC isn't showing on my credit reports.  

I also have an open judgement that was filed 01/2009 and paid off sometime in 2010 or 2011 (sorry... can't remember which, exactly).  It is showing as satisfied on TU and EQ.  I'm guessing there's not a lot I can do with that now, is there?

I also have a Chapter 7 BK filed in Nov 2004... but I know that's dropping off later this year... and all the accounts that were included in it have been gone from my reports for a couple of years at least.

Once I have the lender's reports, I may have more questions... but the listed accounts are the ones that, for some reason, are showing up in my DTI (I'm guessing another report has monthly payments listed on them, or something), so I wanted to tackle these first.

I haven't had any late payments in... 3 or 4 years, I think?  All of my current accounts have perfect payment history.  Car note - opened 11/2011; Cap1 Visa and Cap1 MC - each over a year old; WalMart - almost a year; Kohl's - almost a year; TiresPlus CC - 1 month.  I want another credit card, and have gotten offers, but I don't particularly want to pay a huge annual fee, so I'm waiting.  My credit utilization is at near 80%, so I have a lot of work to do on those, but only one of the cards is over $1000, so I should be able to pay them down in the next few months.

I sincerely apologize for the long-winded post.  Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to read!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 7
Catatonico
Valued Member

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.  So, letting them fall off and their SOL's toll, then maybe offering token payments seems the way to go.  I know there are a couple of large items on there (Repo and 2nd mortgage from foreclosure), and I was nervous about contacting them until the SOL's have tolled.. especially since they aren't contacting me.

I guess while I am waiting on those to come off, I'll work on my credit utilization, continue saving up for the downpayment, and maintain what I have.

Again, thank you for the feedback!

Keep on keeping on!
Message 4 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

What is the SOL of your state?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 7
Catatonico
Valued Member

Georgia... So I think its 6 years across with 4 for revolving (if I remember right)
Keep on keeping on!
Message 6 of 7
Gerri
New Contributor

I am in Ga as well. Don't they say that CC falls under the 6 year window for SOL as opposed to 4? I confess that I am not clear when reading the statute! I would certainly like to know. What would something like ATT phone fall under, is it revolving or no?

Starting Score: 599
Current Score: EQ-739,TU-738
Goal Score: 750

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.