cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst first experience trying to settle a debt!

tag
rcolombe
Contributor

Worst first experience trying to settle a debt!

Am I going about this the wrong way?

I want to begin paying off my collections. I have a charged off credit card with Arizona Federal Credit Union. So I call them up, and they give me the number of the collection agency. I owe less than 400, so i just wanted to pay in full. 

Right away the woman was combabtive. I'm not saying I've ever had a good conversation with a collection agent, but I was calling them to pay in full. I thought it would be easy.

So I start asking about what would show on my TL if I paid. She said paid in full. So I asked if I paid everything off right now, if they would delete the tradeline. She then started speaking to me like I was the most dispicable person on the planet, and how could I expect them to do that, especially since I was rebuilding my credit for a mortgage.  And also twice reminding me our conversation was being recorded. 

She also said she would contact AZ Federal letting them know I am looking for a mortgage and that I was asking them to delete the Tradeline!.

The first thing she said before all of this was that I could set up a payment plan. So I decided to ask about it and all of a sudden it's not an option.

So rather than me calling and paying it off, I'm just pissed off and I tell her I will have to contact her later to set up a payment arrangement.

Now my question is, how much is she planning on harrassing me till this is taken care of?

What was wrong with my approach?

Should I have just emailed a PFD?

I was originally feeling gung ho about taking care of my collections, but now I am very cautious.

IDR Coleections is who I am dealing with.

Starting Score: EQ-563 TU-515 EX-578 VANTAGE-609 September 2013
Current Score: EQ-639 TU-627 EX-625 VANTAGE 662
Goal Score: 700 All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AccountingGuy
Valued Member

Re: Worst first experience trying to settle a debt!

Sounds like you just ran into the wrong person.  I would send a DV first.  I've sent DV letters to collection agencies that were on my credit report for years and poof, they disappeared without a fight.

If they validate your debt (they don't have to since it's been 30 days), then send them a PFD letter.  If the PFD doesn't work, e-mail higher ups at the company and explain how you are willing to pay in full to take care of this and all you ask for is a deletion of a tradeline.

All it takes is one person, you just have to keep trying.

I e-mailed about 50 people once before I received a GW deletion.  Persistence will win in the end!  Best of luck to you.

Starting Score: 584
Current Score: 639
Goal Score: 700+

Care Credit $3k, Cap One $1.25k, Cap One $1k, Credit One $1k, Discover It $800, Walmart $550, Paypal $500, Barclays $500, Valero $300, Amazon $300, Best Buy $300
Message 2 of 12
rcolombe
Contributor

@AccountingGuy wrote:

Sounds like you just ran into the wrong person.  I would send a DV first.  I've sent DV letters to collection agencies that were on my credit report for years and poof, they disappeared without a fight.

If they validate your debt (they don't have to since it's been 30 days), then send them a PFD letter.  If the PFD doesn't work, e-mail higher ups at the company and explain how you are willing to pay in full to take care of this and all you ask for is a deletion of a tradeline.

All it takes is one person, you just have to keep trying.

I e-mailed about 50 people once before I received a GW deletion.  Persistence will win in the end!  Best of luck to you.

I just have this fear that I screwed something up. I've been working pretty hard to clean up my score. I'll keep trying to get to the right person.

Message 3 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

How old is the unpaid debt? what is the SOL in your state?

Message 4 of 12
rcolombe
Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

How old is the unpaid debt? what is the SOL in your state?

It's only a couple years old. 7 years is the SOL.

Message 5 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Hopefully they don't sue you and use the recording in court of you saying you will call them later on to setup a payment plan. That could be a back fire. I would just pay it in full and have it marked as "Paid in full" when the underwriter see's that he won't question it. Now if it says "Settled for less" then that will raise an eye brow. If the collection is factoring into your util % it will give you a boost in score as it will have a $0 bal. 

Message 6 of 12
rcolombe
Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Hopefully they don't sue you and use the recording in court of you saying you will call them later on to setup a payment plan. That could be a back fire. I would just pay it in full and have it marked as "Paid in full" when the underwriter see's that he won't question it. Now if it says "Settled for less" then that will raise an eye brow. If the collection is factoring into your util % it will give you a boost in score as it will have a $0 bal. 

I plan on paying them. I was planning on paying them in that call if they would do a PFD. 

My Util is currently 0%. Waiting on that new secured card and fingerhut to post. On the road to recovery.

I know my credit has already taken the hit, so paying won;t increase anything. I would just rather see the TL gone. 

The OC AZ Federal Credit Union is the only one currently reporting. The collection agancy isn't reporting. Or they are only reporting to experian, which I haven't seen yet.

Message 7 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@rcolombe wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

I plan on paying them. I was planning on paying them in that call if they would do a PFD. 

My Util is currently 0%. Waiting on that new secured card and fingerhut to post. On the road to recovery.

I know my credit has already taken the hit, so paying won;t increase anything. I would just rather see the TL gone. 

The OC AZ Federal Credit Union is the only one currently reporting. The collection agancy isn't reporting. Or they are only reporting to experian, which I haven't seen yet.

Some CA's are pardon my language AHOLES. There is absolutely no benefit to them once they receive payment to keep reporting. 

Message 8 of 12
rcolombe
Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@rcolombe wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

Some CA's are pardon my language AHOLES. There is absolutely no benefit to them once they receive payment to keep reporting. 

That's what I don't understand. It's like this woman has now made it her life mission to mess with me. Like I kicked her puppy or called her baby ugly or something!

Message 9 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

ROFLMFAO I just spit out my pop Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.