Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth a TX DV letter?

tag
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

Worth a TX DV letter?

Hi all,

I've gotten my scores up and I'm working on making the final push on my way to 700+ scores. I've got 2 open CA that I'm wondering if I should bother sending a DV letter invoking the Texas Finance Code.

The first one from Credit Management, Inc. ($380... maybe an old gym membership??) Date opened: 11/2009 Last reported: 11/2009. It's set to fall of 12/2015.

The second one from Enhanced Recovery is a $259 utility collection (Internet??) set to fall off in mid 2016. Date opened with CA: 10/2013, dates reported: 10/2014, 11/2014.

I have disputed these accounts with the CRAs in the past. The following notation was made as a result: "This account disputed by consumer meets requirements of FCRA".

Basically I'm wondering, due to the age of the accounts, is it worth it to attempt removal via DV letter invoking the TFC? SOL in TX has expired (4 yrs). Any time I have been given less than favorable terms requiring a HP, the follow up letter always mentions "Collection/derogatory/RECENT collection filed...."

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Worth a TX DV letter?

I would absolutely do it!....enhanced recovery will fold no doubt....I don't have any experience with the other one....but you don't have anything to lose other than a couple dollars to send it out certified. ..
Good luck
Message 2 of 10
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would absolutely do it!....enhanced recovery will fold no doubt....I don't have any experience with the other one....but you don't have anything to lose other than a couple dollars to send it out certified. ..
Good luck

Thanks JJ! My only concern came this morning when I was combing through a copy of my CR from last March 2014. The Enhanced Recovery account mentioned above does not show up on that report BUT a different Enhanced Recovery shows up for something else. That one has since been removed. If I send this letter out, am I inviting them to do a quick search and re-report this other account? It looks like this other one is from 2010-ish.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

TX Dist Court set the new parameters of DV. I am not sure if it going to help you anyway but it does require the CA to be more deatiled when responding to DVs.

https://www.docketalarm.com/cases/Texas_Eastern_District_Court/4--13-cv-00544/Mack_v._Progressive_Fi...

I am more interested in this:

Other circuit courts addressing this provision of the FDCPA has determined that verification is not intended to give a debtor a detailed accounting of the debt to be collected. Instead, “[c]onsistent with the legislative history, verification is only intended to eliminate the problem of debt collectors dunning the wrong person or attempting to collect debts which the consumer has already paid.” Chaudhry, 174 F.3d at 406; Dunham v. Portfolio Recovery Assocs., LLC, 663 F.3d 997, 1003 (8th Cir. 2011); Clark v. Capital Credit & Collection Servs., Inc., 460 F.3d 1162 (9th Cir. 2006). In Clark, the Ninth Circuit adopted the standard as articulated by the Fourth Circuit, holding that “[a]t the minimum, ‘verification of a debt involves nothing more than the debt collector confirming in writing that the amount being demanded is what the creditor is claiming is owed.’” Id. at 1173–1174 (quoting Chaudhry, 174 F.3d at 406). In Dunham, the Eighth Circuit declined to set a high threshold. 663 F.3d at 1004.

More recently, the Sixth Circuit addressed the question of what verification means for purposes of section 1692g(b), and stated the following:
These cases suggest that the “baseline” for verification is to enable the consumer to “sufficiently dispute the payment obligation.” Although the answer to that question depends on the facts of a particular situation, the cases reflect that an itemized accounting detailing the transactions in an account that have led to the debt is often the best means of accomplishing that objective. Intuitively, such a practice makes good sense. In fact, it would likely lead to faster resolutions of disputes with those consumers who act in good faith, because it will either show a valid debt that a consumer acting in good faith will actually pay, uncover an error in the record of the debt leading to the cancellation of the debt, or reveal the underlying dispute between the parties that can then be resolved. Finally, such an approach is consonant with the
congressional purpose of the verification provision.

Haddad v. Alexander, Zelmanski, Danner & Fioritto, PLLC, 758 F.3d 777, 785 (6th Cir. 2014).

The Sixth Circuit determined the following:
The verification provision must be interpreted to provide the consumer with notice of how and when the debt was originally incurred or other sufficient notice from which the consumer could sufficiently dispute the payment obligation. This information does not have to be extensive. It should provide the date and nature of the transaction that led to the debt, such as a purchase on a particular date, a missed rental payment for a specific month, a fee for a particular service provided at a specified time, or a fine for a particular offense assessed on a certain date.

Plaintiff cites the Court to Haddad, and Defendants fail to address this case in its reply brief. The Court finds that the Haddad analysis is persuasive and adopts it. Now, the question is whether Defendants’ verification letter met this standard. The Court finds that Defendants’ verification letter does not meet this standard.

Message 4 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt collector is required to respond to a request under the TX Financial Code within 30 days, but is not required to provide validation within 30 days.

They can, in their response, state that they are not yet providing validation.  In that case, they must delete their credit reporting.  However, the TX Financial Code specifically states that they may reinsert their collection once they do provide validation. Thus, any deletion would not be premanent.

A bigger concern may be whehter you might wish ot offer either a settlement for less or a PFD.

REquests under the TX Financial code impose a cease collection bar, just as does a DV under the FDCPA.

That bar prevents any collection activities, including negotiation of terms, until they have first validated.

If you can afford to wait and dont wish to begin negotiations, then i dont see a downside to a request under the TX code.

However, as stated in the prior post, a consumer should not expect documentary proof of the debt as part of validation.

If the debt is truly valid, little may be gained if they can provide a determination of validity.

Message 5 of 10
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

From what I read on the court's decision, I wonder if the Plantiff would have gotten a different result if he would've invoked the TFC...very interesting though.

Message 6 of 10
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

A debt collector is required to respond to a request under the TX Financial Code within 30 days, but is not required to provide validation within 30 days.

They can, in their response, state that they are not yet providing validation.  In that case, they must delete their credit reporting.  However, the TX Financial Code specifically states that they may reinsert their collection once they do provide validation. Thus, any deletion would not be premanent.

A bigger concern may be whehter you might wish ot offer either a settlement for less or a PFD.

REquests under the TX Financial code impose a cease collection bar, just as does a DV under the FDCPA.

That bar prevents any collection activities, including negotiation of terms, until they have first validated.

If you can afford to wait and dont wish to begin negotiations, then i dont see a downside to a request under the TX code.

However, as stated in the prior post, a consumer should not expect documentary proof of the debt as part of validation.

If the debt is truly valid, little may be gained if they can provide a determination of validity.

I believe I can afford to wait Robert. One of my main concerns was causing more harm than good by calling these accounts back to the forefront of the CAs mind.  I'm not even sure these accounts are accurate or even belong to me because I went "credit kamikaze" 7-9 years ago, which left 20 something derogatory accounts. Yeah I screwed up pretty bad back then. I've always just given them the benefit of the doubt since I owed so many people money from that time period.

I do have the money to PIF and have done that with several creditors, but I truly believe there to be discrepancies with both of these collections. My problem is the accounts are from 2008 - 2009 and it's not likely I can provide strong disputing evidence. My hope is the CA's record keeping is that great either. I attempted to contact Credit Management Inc last year. After providing them with the account number they listed on my CR, they still weren't able to locate or verify an account with my name on it. Neither one of these collectors have been actively attempting to collect, via mail, phone or otherwise.

I've got the DV letters citing the TFC typed up and in the envelope. Unless anybody can see this causing irreparable harm, I'll send them CMRRR tomorrow morning. I'll also try to keep this post updated with my findings. Thanks everybody!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the outcome of the letters?

Message 8 of 10
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

I sent the letter and they never responded. I never sent a follow up
Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@TrialByFire wrote:
I sent the letter and they never responded. I never sent a follow up

The TX Finance Code requires that they respond or remove their TL until they actually do validate. If they have not removed the TL then I would file the appropriate complaint with the TX AG for violations of the law.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.