cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth it to pay off (non-PFD) in this situation?

tag
Nectarine
Contributor

Worth it to pay off (non-PFD) in this situation?

I have numerous small bills ($100), all of which are listed on my credit report. So far, PFD offers have been ignored and I'm not sure if it would be better to just pay these amounts off. (I know I owe these particular bills, so DV isn't an option).

I'm also not receiving bills from these people, which I wasn't before either. It's still odd. Smiley Very Happy

Would paying off these small amounts as it is improve my credit score in the near future? Having a paid Delinquent as opposed to having an open, currently-owed delinquent.

Thanks!

Griffin
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Worth it to pay off (non-PFD) in this situation?

Nectarine wrote:
I have numerous small bills ($100), all of which are listed on my credit report. So far, PFD offers have been ignored and I'm not sure if it would be better to just pay these amounts off. (I know I owe these particular bills, so DV isn't an option).

I'm also not receiving bills from these people, which I wasn't before either. It's still odd. Smiley Very Happy

Would paying off these small amounts as it is improve my credit score in the near future? Having a paid Delinquent as opposed to having an open, currently-owed delinquent.

Thanks!

Griffin

All you can do is keep sending the PFD letters in hope that they soon accept them, since DV'ing is not an option. I dont think they will help your scores if you pay them off. Some creditor/lenders like to see paid and closed collections when extending credit. So i believe that would be the only good thing about paying them! Are you out SOL on these items?

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Nectarine wrote:

Thanks!

Griffin

You mentioned DV. You can only DV a CA anyway. But if it is a CA, paying them will not help your score at all unless they accept a PFD. DVing a CA is important, even if you are 100% sure you owe the money. You'd get a written statement from them establishing the amount owed in writing.

If an OC, you may not see too much of an increase if paid. I would call them, if an OC. Get a feel of where the debt stands and maybe you can negotiate a PFD over the phone and get a letter confirming. There are also times where paying without a PFD is important. If there's a chance the debt may get passed to a CA, then the last thing you need is a CA and a CO OC.
Message 3 of 8
Nectarine
Contributor

They're all CAs, but the COs were never reporting anyway. When I say small, I mean small -- one is $83 ($89 since I contacted them, they added some late charge).

I don't see DV as useful, unless my goal is to dispute as "failed to validate."

To be honest, I'm not that comfortable with just paying it off if there's not going to be a benefit. Most of these are random medical bills (testing) that just fell through the cracks. To not send a bill AND increase the amount owed sounds like dirty pool to me.

Most of my creditors have ignored two PFD attempts, so I guess at this point I have to either PIF or DV. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nectarine wrote:
They're all CAs, but the COs were never reporting anyway. When I say small, I mean small -- one is $83 ($89 since I contacted them, they added some late charge).

I don't see DV as useful, unless my goal is to dispute as "failed to validate."

To be honest, I'm not that comfortable with just paying it off if there's not going to be a benefit. Most of these are random medical bills (testing) that just fell through the cracks. To not send a bill AND increase the amount owed sounds like dirty pool to me.

Most of my creditors have ignored two PFD attempts, so I guess at this point I have to either PIF or DV. Smiley Sad

I sent a PFD for a $29 collection before I DV'd. It was so small I just wanted it off. I used the sample PFD here, which states afte 15 days from their receipt of letter I would DV if not response. Well no response, so I DV'd.

Within a few weeks, the account was gone.

I have still yet to hear from them and can only assume they no longer have the account.

If the CA you sent the PFD to doesn't have the account anymore, this would explain the no collection letters and the ignored PFD.

When was the last time they reported on your reports? In my situation the CA hadn't reported in 2 years.

The benefit of paying with no PFD is that during a manual review it looks better, plus knowing that you paid your debt.

However, with no collection letters and ignored PFDs, I would not pay until DV'ing. If they don't have the debt anymore, do you think they would return your payment? A few might.
Message 5 of 8
Nectarine
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent a PFD for a $29 collection before I DV'd. It was so small I just wanted it off. I used the sample PFD here, which states afte 15 days from their receipt of letter I would DV if not response. Well no response, so I DV'd.

Within a few weeks, the account was gone.

I have still yet to hear from them and can only assume they no longer have the account.

If the CA you sent the PFD to doesn't have the account anymore, this would explain the no collection letters and the ignored PFD.

When was the last time they reported on your reports? In my situation the CA hadn't reported in 2 years.

The benefit of paying with no PFD is that during a manual review it looks better, plus knowing that you paid your debt.

However, with no collection letters and ignored PFDs, I would not pay until DV'ing. If they don't have the debt anymore, do you think they would return your payment? A few might.

You make a lot of really good points there. I got a small windfall (~$75), so I think I will DV. The worst that can happen is I'm out six bucks per bill. Smiley Happy

The last time this one reported was in Dec 2007 if I remember correctly (definitely 2007). I hadn't thought that the company might not have the debt anymore. If that's the case, I definitely want it gone since it's likely to pop back up with a new CA. I've been lucky that most of my OCs haven't reported to CRAs.

Thanks all!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who is reporting a CA?  what are they for?   what is the DOFD/DOLA on each?

If medical....they are handled different
Message 7 of 8
Nectarine
Contributor

(Sorry for the delay)

The ones that I'm talking about are ALL medical.

The DOLA/DOFD for all the small amounts is from 2006 and 2007. Until fairly recently, part of my problem has been that I try to save up the full amount before paying things off. So when I saw things on my CR, I could place them with specific doctor's appointments. The bizarre thing is that even after sending letters, I'm not getting bills. It's like "No thanks, we've got enough money!" Smiley Very Happy

I just had another (larger) one go to collections from trying to work out a payment plan with the OC (who charges $400 for a 30-minute Dr. Appt???). However, me contacting about a payment plan has saved me three collections recently -- so definitely worth it on that front!

I haven't started DV-ing yet, so if I'm all ears on what I should be doing. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Nectarine on 06-03-2008 09:49 AM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.