cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it hurt or help my score to pay a collection account and let them mark as paid ?

tag
getit2gether
Contributor

Would it hurt or help my score to pay a collection account and let them mark as paid ?

So I have been told by this collection agency that will they mark account as settled/paid once I pay.

I would like for the account to be deleted not marked as paid. But they said they cant do that.

???

Will paying this help or hurt my score if they report it this way?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

Re: Would it hurt or help my score to pay a collection account and let them mark as paid ?

It would do neither. The collection account will still report as a collection, thereby having no affect on your score. Haven you sent them a PFD letter? How old is the collection?

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: Would it hurt or help my score to pay a collection account and let them mark as paid ?

If they say they don't delete for pay, you may have luck later with a GW letter.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 3 of 8
getit2gether
Contributor

I've sent at least 5 letters but they have not responded to any of them.

The account is 110 days old per the collection agency (today)

So its hurting me really bad. I have to get it removed.

And I read that FHA qualifications are changing as of 4-1-12. As of the 1st, they require you to pay any collection account over $1,000

Message 4 of 8
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

How much is the collection? What is it for? Work is the original creditor? Do you dispute the debt?

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Message 5 of 8
getit2gether
Contributor

Its for $1278. Tmobile is the OC

Message 6 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You definately won't get a FICO score boost from paying the collection ~ getting it deleted is really the only thing that would help boost your FICO score.

I'd keep trying with the PFD offers but if you really have to take care of it for your mortgage financing then you might have to try GW.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Did you DV this?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.