cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would love advice... please no negative..

tag
jj1983
Established Member

Would love advice... please no negative..

Hello! I would LOVE some advice as I have literally stalked here for years and finally decided to ask when I saw most people here are not too negative or bashingSmiley Happy I am trying to raise my horrible credit score. It is about 594 and I had a foreclosure back in 2010 and well as a repo (our daughter passed away at 3 months old and we had a lot of bills but due to income was told we couldn't qualify for bankruptcy).

We are working hard to repair our credit but I do not know what else to do..here is what we have on credit.

On mine I have:

Fingerhut with a limit of $750.00 owe $75.00

Care credit with a limit of $800 and a balance of $0.00

I have several charged off cards that total about $1200.00 and were charged off in 2010. The repo and foreclosure in 2010..the repo was for $22,000 and foreclosure was for $84,000

I have no loans in my name.

My husband has No foreclosure as his name was no where on the house because I bought before we married but he had the repo on his name.

He has charged off cards in same amount as me (joint)

Khols card limit of $200 balance of 0

Fingerhut limit of $2500 and a balance of $0.00

Our home balance is about $268,000 (appraised at $426,000 a month ago btw!)

Our car balance is about $16,000

3 loans that total about $8000.00 

Care credit limit of $800 and a balance of $0.00

Our total income is about 91,000 a year. Our bills total about 5200 a month so hard to save anything much up unfortunately.

We have a savings of about $2500 which is a little short to pay off any of the loans on my hubbys name.

Its important for me to get my credit up, as in 2007 Crazy! We do not need to buy anything however I want to start working on my score now because one day our 3 children will be teens and asking me to cosign for them on a loan and how bad would I look to say I am unable to? It just important to me as from age 16-26 I was always the most cautious one I know w my score and that went all downhill. 

When our middle child passed away (2010)we spent a LOT of money because we lived in a motel room for 6 weeks straight  and not enough saved up. was off work but wasn't getting paid she was alive nor afterwards when I fell in depression. She was special needs and required 24 hour a day care that myself and husband done, The military gave him paid leave. 

I see the err of my ways and we have cut back expenses on everything tv, cells, home phone etc to get all the charges offs paid back and get everything squared away. Any advice what I can do to get credit establish again? Even Orchard card wouldn't give me a chance!!!EKK HELP!

We want to improve our credit but it seems I always get denied for anything I try to get. I have been using finger hut and khols to improve our credit but can not do much else. We have considered selling to pay off all debt and start over? We could be debt free and no bills at all plus a great credit score. We LOVE our home though and got a deal and even to rebuy a SMALLER home would be around 300,000 in this area...  (near base is why). Any advice or opinions from you smart people hereSmiley Happy What would YOU do? 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Would love advice... please no negative..

I am so sorry for your loss.  I cannot imagine your pain.  I would recommend asking this question in the REBUILDING section of this forum.   You'll gain loads of information and assistance over there.  Possibly a mod can move this over for you.

Welcome, and all is NOT lost.  You will regain momentum. 

Message 2 of 35
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't pay the charge off's....at all.  It won't change your score.  The ONLY way is for the charge off to be removed.  Have you tried to offer a pay-for-delete? 

Message 3 of 35
jj1983
Established Member

Thanks I will repost there and yes none will pay for delete they claimed they "had no way to do that".

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for your loss.  As someone already stated, get the charge off from the report.

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im very sorry for your loss.  You really should make this post in rebuilding forum because there are people there that are very good about giving advice for situations like yours.

Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, I am very sorry for your loss.  I cannot imagine that pain.

Well, I will say if I can recover from my stupid ways then you will most certainly prevail.  As others have said, get in writing paid for deletes, that will be a tremendous help.  Have you opted for a secured CC by chance?  I started with one and it didn't feel that important at first but 13 months later I was able to see a really nice benefit.

Patience is your friend here.  There are plenty of good folks here with sound advice.

Good luck and stay strong!

Message 7 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@jj1983 wrote:

On mine I have:

I have several charged off cards that total about $1200.00 and were charged off in 2010. The repo and foreclosure in 2010..the repo was for $22,000 and foreclosure was for $84,000

My husband has No foreclosure as his name was no where on the house because I bought before we married but he had the repo on his name.

*I deleted most of your post so when I posted wouldn't be to long and just keep account info... Anyway, Here I go:

I will differ from everyone and say that since we are talking about such a small amount I would SETTLE your charge offs and here is why: You are still 2 years out from them being deleted and unpaid chargeoffs will prevent you from getting credit from most but the minute they are settled/paid they will start basing them by how old they are and issueing new credit and since htey are 5 eyars already they will probably instantly start issueing credit... now if we were talking extreme amounts of money then I would say just sit tight for another 2 years but at $1200 it should cost you no more than $600 to settle them all and then they will be $0 (this is credit cards!)

Now car... After they sold it, you still owe $22k? Id leave it if that was the case and of course leave the foreclosure.

your husband must have pretty good credit? Has he thought about obtaining better credit cards now and adding you to them (chase, citi, discover, amex?)

Message 8 of 35
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@jj1983 wrote:

On mine I have:

*I deleted most of your post so when I posted wouldn't be to long and just keep account info... Anyway, Here I go:

I will differ from everyone and say that since we are talking about such a small amount I would SETTLE your charge offs and here is why: You are still 2 years out from them being deleted and unpaid chargeoffs will prevent you from getting credit from most but the minute they are settled/paid they will start basing them by how old they are and issueing new credit and since htey are 5 eyars already they will probably instantly start issueing credit... now if we were talking extreme amounts of money then I would say just sit tight for another 2 years but at $1200 it should cost you no more than $600 to settle them all and then they will be $0 (this is credit cards!)

Now car... After they sold it, you still owe $22k? Id leave it if that was the case and of course leave the foreclosure.

your husband must have pretty good credit? Has he thought about obtaining better credit cards now and adding you to them (chase, citi, discover, amex?)

+1 

if they don't pfd. They settle. Better to dhow 0 balance. Make a lst. Start at top. Of creditors. Work your way down. 1 lender at a time. No fast solution. But in about 2 years you will see the rewards. Good luck. 

Message 9 of 35
jj1983
Established Member

My husband credit is actually worse than mine..believe it or not...he had same charged off cards and the same repo and some lates..never been late on house..had since 2011 nor on our car we got a year ago..yet his score wont go up at all..

I have debated on using one of those type cards but wasn't sure which to get..

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.