Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow decrease in my credit score from 591 to 346

tag
monieleazenby
Established Member

Wow decrease in my credit score from 591 to 346

My EX CR was 591 when I had a BK on it, after I disputed it and Child Support which was paid made the mistake of taking off a good account, my score is now 346. I have student loans in default of 11,909 and medical bills, what I am happy about- most of the med bills have agreed to pay to delete. I'm discouraged because I keep getting denied for credit cards because I have no new revolving accounts other than the collections from medical bills and student loans. I thought my score would increase but it has decreased a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can increase my score. Even when I begin to knock out the medical bills in collections I'm assuming this is just going to decrease my score even more. Why because I am unable to get new good revolving accounts on my CR denied Smiley Sad

See in my opinion even if you clean your credit up it's like starting all over again with no credit score if you had nothing but negative stuff to begin with. Now no one will approve me for cc so that my score can increase.

If anyone has had this problem and bounced back up I would be happy to hear how you did it.

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Wow decrease in my credit score from 591 to 346

@monieleazenby wrote:

My EX CR was 591 when I had a BK on it, after I disputed it and Child Support which was paid made the mistake of taking off a good account, my score is now 346. I have student loans in default of 11,909 and medical bills, what I am happy about- most of the med bills have agreed to pay to delete. I'm discouraged because I keep getting denied for credit cards because I have no new revolving accounts other than the collections from medical bills and student loans. I thought my score would increase but it has decreased a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can increase my score. Even when I begin to knock out the medical bills in collections I'm assuming this is just going to decrease my score even more. Why because I am unable to get new good revolving accounts on my CR denied Smiley Sad

See in my opinion even if you clean your credit up it's like starting all over again with no credit score if you had nothing but negative stuff to begin with. Now no one will approve me for cc so that my score can increase.

If anyone has had this problem and bounced back up I would be happy to hear how you did it.

Monie

Ouch. That's terrible. It could be that you were rebucketed partially when some of those older things came off. It should rebound. If you can't get a secured card through cap 1, BoA or a credit union, I'd suggest holding off on applying for any more credit right now. At this point, you're just wasting inquiries.

There is a lot of advice in the Student Loan forum about rehabbing your loans and such. I'd start there. Keep doing what you're doing, which is getting those baddies paid off and deleted. Your score should rebound at least some once you get rid of each of those things. Is there any one that can add you as an authorized user on their older / clean accounts?

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 16
monieleazenby
Established Member

I wish there was, I'm really new to cleaning up credit issues. Because I had a BK that belonged to another person I'm disputing a lot of stuff because I don't recall all of it, but I am surprised that my credit report was higher with the BK and stuff that didn't belong to me and then bumped down. Hopefully in time this will change. At least I'm trying to fix the mess on my CR Smiley Happy

Sooner or later I will bounce back thank you for your feedback

Monie

Message 3 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Did you file a fraud affidavit and police report for the things on your report that are not yours? That should not still be lingering.

Bankruptcies can actually "help" credit reports because it cleans the file, and creditors know your risk of bankruptcy is lower because you CAN'T file for 7-10 more years.  So they know they are safe from you taking that route. So, it actually does make sense that once it is off, you could look "riskier" to a creditor because you then DO have the option to file BK if needed. In your situation, it might actually be a route to consider if you have thousands in debts that you can not pay or clear off. Smiley Sad I don't know really what your situation is though. It's something to discuss with an attorney.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Message 4 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Then again, maybe not. It seems as though your major debts are from Student Loans, and those can not be discharged through a BK. I know they can be "added" to a chap 13, but you'd still have to pay them in full.. well the trustee would send the checks to them, but you'd end up paying the full amount you owe to them, not a portion of the debt.

Message 5 of 16
monieleazenby
Established Member

Thank you for your advise however there is no way I will ever file for a BK. I lived with a chapter 7 BK for nine years it wasn't even mine, I had to live in the worst places in terms of apartments that didn't do credit checks, countless times I was unable to get approved for anything. I was always informed it was due to the Bk I do have negative collections from medical bills, but I rather pay them off then go through a BK all over again. It's not worth it in my eyes.

I'm sure a lot of people have success stories to tell about the BK, but it affected me in a negative way. I just got the BK off last month and applied for a credit card through B of A they sent me a letter telling me because I had an actual BK on my record they declined me, this has been awesome for my case of course, but disappointing that I couldn't get approved. I'm happy the BK is finally off of my CR I should be greatful for it, after all I almost went 10 years with it lol which I feel foolish for not disputing it sooner.  I know first hand because I went through it for nine years that the BK does affected you from getting an apartment, car note, and credit card.

I feel since I accrued the medical bills if all are still mine I am disputing some of them to make sure I can't remember from 2009 then I will pay, some of that ladies stuff from the BK was present in my CR and other accounts she had thereafter aside from the BK. According to my Attorney,  because I am suing Experian for the BK, the mistakes are that of the actual CRA (Experian) they don't actually verify your ss numbers to what they report into their system. Experian gets sued year after year from neglecting to report correctly. So at this point its not a fraud case for me, it falls on the shoulders of Experian.

My student loans will be off set at tax time that should clear my debit with them, then I will have to focus on my medical bills because yes their are a lot of them. However I will pay them all off this year assuming they will pay to delete as they stated.

Thank you for your feedback as it means a lot. It's nice to know other people care and are very helpful as well as knowedgable in this area as you are.

I'm just worried I'll have no credit at the end of this journey.

I have to start all over again once this nightmare is over Smiley Happy

Monie

Message 6 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

If the BK is now off your credit report, can you try to recon the BoA decision? If they declined you due to a BK showing, and now you can prove that it is no longer on there, they might then approve you at least for a secured card.

I understand what you said about the BK. Good luck, and I know, it's going to be a very long, uphill journey but you seem to have the desire and the persistance needed to get to the top of the hill.

Message 7 of 16
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Have you considered a secured card?

Also, are the student loans in default? If so, you can rehab those and after 10 months of payments they'll clean them on your report.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 8 of 16
monieleazenby
Established Member

You guys are great thank you so much for your feedback. I'm holding off until my Attorney tells me to move forward to reapply for the B of A, the problem during the nine years I had that BK I was unable to obtain new good revolving accounts I was declined for everything under the sun now my CR scores are supper low because all that reflects them is the collections of medical bills, and the defaulted student loans. I talked to the CA for my defaulted student loans and they want to settle the debit with me at tax time, they will offset the taxes anyways and stated they can still settle assuming I get at least 10k, my true value of the student loans is $11,909 something like that but of course the CA is taxing on about 3-4k in interest.

Next month I should be able to get my W-forms to file. If that doesn't work then I informed them I would enter into the rehab program as I think that is a good idea.

The secure credit card is going to be my next atempt. Hopefully I get approved for that because I do want to increase my scores.

I must say that its all overwhelming but in small baby steps I'm sure hopefully by the end of the year my credit will be cleaned up this is my plan. Hopefully Smiley Happy

Monie

Message 9 of 16
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

You are unlikely to be approved for any unsecured credit card and many big creditors will even deny your application for a secured card.

Try First Progress Bank. They will not pull credit and you can have two secured cards with one online app. You can make the deposits with your ATM card if you want to expedite the processing of your application. I did it and am now enjoying two cards with First Progress [$300 each] that are reporting to all three credit agencies.

Also, try to start a small account [checking or saving] with a local credit union and, if successful, you can nurture and build that relations for future harvesting.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.