Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow-major debt surprise

tag
themeggerz
New Contributor

Re: Wow-major debt surprise

"Otherwise everyone would charge their cards and not pay, according to her.   "

Well, yeah. Sure, and screw up their credit for 7.5 years.

Sounds like scare tactics to me.  I would send the CA a cease and desist letter, and make sure you state in it that you're aware it's past the SOL for both credit reporting and enforceable judgement.  And save the letter as a word doc, so when the "next" one comes, you just reprint it. Smiley Happy

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 11 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

People answering the phones at collection agencies are usually misinformed about credit topics even more than most CSRs. Or they are being deceptive and/or trying to scare you. Basically they will tell you anything to get you to send them money, including nonsense like what you were told about there being no SOL.

Send them a C&D letter, and save a copy as suggested if another CA pops up.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am being contacted by a collection agency that is based in Nevada, where I lived when the original debt had gone unpaid.  When I mentioned the SOL the women told me it only applies to how long they can put something like that on your credit report.  Otherwise everyone would charge their cards and not pay, according to her.   

The rep is either poorly trained or outright lied to you. Since this is a CA my initial advice still applies. They cannot sue you or report this. Send them a Cease and Desist letter.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for being so helpful.  I'm a little concerned now that I verbally reaffirmed the debt cause I am not really confident I understand totally what that means.  I spoke with the woman about it being my debt but did not agree to pay anything.  However she outright lied to me about the statues of limitations so I really don't think there would be a legal case if they tried to sue me for this 11K.  I'm still blown away by this whole situation.  I cannot believe the CA tries to suck people out of 9K

Message 14 of 16
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

I cannot believe the CA tries to suck people out of 9K

And there's a LOT of people that'll pay up too without knowing the laws regarding zombie debts.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I cannot believe the CA tries to suck people out of 9K

And there's a LOT of people that'll pay up too without knowing the laws regarding zombie debts.

It happens ALLLLL the time.   And I don't think it is likely that you reaffirmed anything on the phone, usually you would have to put something in writing or make a payment ~ it varies by state.    Once you send them a C&D letter and they realize that you are an informed consumer they'll just pack up and move on to the next person.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.