Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing Goodwill letter help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Writing Goodwill letter help?

This is a rough draft of a Goodwill letter I'm writing. I want honest opinions, guidance to make it work in favor of the goodwill adjustment. Please feel free to tell me changes I should make, and suggestions to help me get the mark removed on goodwill.

GW LETTER: 

I know that you must receive an overwhelming amount of mail so I will try to keep this letter as brief as possible and to the point. I currently have a Credit Card with your company that right now is up to date with payments being made on time. Unfortunately, I do have 1 late payments that is showing from 2 months ago and I am writing to request if there is a way to have this information revised. (I could provide more information like the date late or what I've paid after such as: 1 late payment in June 2017. Since that time I paid $801.00+ in June, made an early payment for July, and recently an on time payment in August. I’ve maintained a spotless on-time payment record during all my years with American Express.)

At the time of the late payments, I unfortunately became unemployed as someone purchased the building where I work and they’re demolishing without prior notice for us to prepare for this situation. I recall the minimum due increased and I couldn’t make ends meet. I was juggling this new change which was difficult. Prior to that two loved ones passed away 42 days apart with new bills to pay but even though it became challenging and American Express is my highest card I’ve kept paying it. Honestly, I wish my minimum was lower or it would be better if my APR was less while I reduce my balance as over $1,500 in interest fees has been charged within 6 months. I’ve called about this and was denied.

I say that not to justify why the payment was late, but rather to show that the one late payment is not a good indicator of my actual credit worthiness. I hope that American Express is willing to work with me on erasing this mark from my credit reports as it puts this account in assertive category.

I am currently working on rebuilding my credit and in doing so have learned just how essential organizational and financial management principles are. I am in a considerably better situation today and take full responsibility for my action. I am asking for a measure of goodwill to delete the negative off my credit report with all three bureaus. I understand that you are under no legal obligation to respond to my letter, but this act of goodwill would not only help my credit repair tremendously but also afford me great opportunities in the near hopeful future.

With this gesture of goodwill American Express will forever have my gratitude. I thank you for your consideration in reviewing this matter and taking the time to read this letter.

Respectfully,

Note: I'm enrolled in Paper billing and recently my mailing address change because no one is at that address so those statements must have been returned. I moved out around March and my late payment was for June. I haven't made the address change yet but I noticed this account is listed with that address after I sent the 1st round goodwill leter.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill letter review / suggestions?

Good luck, I have had zero success with GW letters trying to get old lates removed. The majority of responses that I received were in the lines of "insufficient documentation or other information to substantiate the basis of the dispute". Most companies look at GW letters as disputes or at least thats the way the responses sound.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Did you send to the Executive Offices? A lot rides on the actual letter too.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with CS and since it was just 1 due to not receiving statements they removed it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.