Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Info on Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong Info on Credit Report

Hi everyone, I have a question for you knowledgeable people. I signed up for the myFico credit monitoring the other day, and I decided to take a closer look at everything last night when I couldn't sleep (had a major surgery and its very uncomfortable Smiley Sad lol). There is a collections account for Verizon from 2011. I have never done any type of business with Verizon, at all.  I know you can dispute itms on your report, but I've heard that disputing as "Not Mine" generally doesn't have a favorable outcome. Can you offer insight/suggestions on how to go about this?

Also, I had a charge of from Capital One when I was in college (about 2 years ago)..long story but it was a big mistake on my part.  It was paid off immediately and now I'm working on building my credit back up. I also had a discover card that, for the same reason, fell behind.  That was paid and was "paid as agreed/closed by grantor". Last week, I was approved for Capital One QuicksilverOne which is a good start to my rebuilding (currently myFico score is 600). Should I try goodwill letters to both Capital One and Discover? It feels as though that is my only option at this point.

Thanks for reading! Hope everyone has a great day.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

Re: Wrong Info on Credit Report

I would definitely dispute the Verizon charge, just not sure if you should dispute directly to Verizon or the CRA's. Also, if you paid the cc's in full already then doing a GW to try and remove it may not work. You could try to send them a GW to have lates removed, and explain what happened. ESPECIALLY if you were in good standing before that period.

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  Yes before those lates and the charge off, I had never been late once.  Always on time..Discover was very willing to work with me, even offering a payment plan and removal of all late fees.  I just paid them in full on the spot. It wasn't a lack of money that caused all this, it was a miscommunication, sadly.

Message 3 of 9
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

Yes, try reaching out to them and specify removing lates. Be nice about it though, nothing demanding. Just reiterate that you hit a rough patch and paid immediately. Even let them know you would also like to become customers with them again in the future. Spread it on thick...never hurts. LOL

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else have some input?

Message 5 of 9
dursty87
Established Contributor

I agree with the GW's as far as lates go.

Have you sent a DV to the CA for the Verizon account ?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know who the collection agency is. It says it has a balance of $0 so I'm guessing someone paid it. It only list a collections account for Verizon...this is only on Experian. It's upsetting because I've literally never dealt with Verizon for anything and I never received a collections letter.

Message 7 of 9
BlessedHappiness
New Contributor

Since that is the case, dispute the Verizon account and good will the credit cards. If the credit bureau comes back verified and you are 100% certain you never had an account with Verizon, file a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and Better Business Bureau against Verizon and the the credit reporting bureau.  I had a falsified collection the collection agency tried to re-age and pass off as new under a creditor I never ever had anything to do with. I escalated it to the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and it was deleted in a day.  There are laws to protect us. Many get away with knowingly reporting innacuracies because they know many people do not want to take the time to follow-up and fight for what is right.  Go for it and make sure your report is an accurate reflection of your circumstances/situation.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little update. I have asked for a DV from Verizon and I am currently waiting on that. I had a collections account with Enhanced Recovery (Dish Network) that was just a big pain in the butt as well.  I moved out of an apartment with friends to pursue a career in a different city..being a dumb 22 year old, I trusted them with my dish network account.  I had no idea they weren't paying otherwise I would have bit the bullet and paid it myself. I didn't find out until I received a collections letter offering a settlement.  Not knowing what I know now, I simply paid it instead of bargaining for a Pay For Delete Smiley Sad 

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I forwarded a goodwill letter to Enhanced Recovery asking for a goodwill delete blah blah blah. I received a response from them today denying my request. I don't know what to do now. I still have the extension to the woman I worked with over the phone, she was very friendly.  Should I try that route?

Dear (redacted)

Thank you for your inquiry.  Unfortunately, our agency would not be able to delete the account from the credit bureaus entirely as we are required to report the accurate standing of the account per FCRA guidelines. If an account is settled-in-full, it would reflect as such with a residual balance. 

I hope that I have provided a solution to your inquiry.  Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.