Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong address-sent to collections

tag
mamaoftwins
New Contributor

Wrong address-sent to collections

A medical bill of my husbands (measly $240) has been going to the wrong (old) address for months and was then sent to collections (who also had the wrong address). The hospital still has the debt and we finally received a bill that the post office forwarded to us finally. When I called to pay on it they told me it was also in collections. I called collections and they said they have had it for more than 60 days so it has already been reported to the bureaus. Is there anything we can do besides PFD? If we pay with the hospital can they somehow take it back from collections? This sucks!

2/12/2014: EQ: 700, EX: 716, TU: 722

NFCU CashRewards $25k | NFCU Navcheck $15k | Home Depot $15k | CSP $12k | Freedom $9k | Sallie Mae $4.5k | Amex BCE $2k | 1FBUSA $1.8k |

Gardening until 2016-2017
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Re: Wrong address-sent to collections

I would write a letter or call the collection agency and explain the wrong address and try a PFD.  If they wont, you can stil pay it and then good will the heck out of them :-)

Or ask the hospital to pull the collection back so you can pay it.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 2 of 4
mamaoftwins
New Contributor

Ugh, I just saw on my husband's Score Watch today that it reported to the bureaus. If the hospital will pull the collection will it be taken off the bureaus?

2/12/2014: EQ: 700, EX: 716, TU: 722

NFCU CashRewards $25k | NFCU Navcheck $15k | Home Depot $15k | CSP $12k | Freedom $9k | Sallie Mae $4.5k | Amex BCE $2k | 1FBUSA $1.8k |

Gardening until 2016-2017
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hard to say.

The reportings by a creditor and debt collector are separate.  Once a debt collector has obtained collection authority, either by assignment of the authority by the OC or by purchase of the debt, they can report it.  Nothing under the FCRA requires a debt collector to delete their reported collection based on termination of their collection authority prior to satiafaction of the debt.  And deletion based on payment of the debt itself is directly contrary to the CRA policy.

However, the CRA reporting manual instructs debt collectors whose collection authority is teminated other than by payment of the debt to delete their reporting.

If the debt collector balks at deletion, you may have to request intervention of the CRA based on their credit reporting guidelines.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.