New Visitor

Wrong information/credit dispute

I had some credit card debt in the past.  I went into a delinquent status and had debt shark law firms come after me.  Luckily I was able to change jobs to a much higher paying job and pay off both cards with around $7000 on each.  Unluckily, it still shows on my credit report as those cards never being paid.  I disputed the charges on the credit report websites (equifax etc) but, the status remains the same.

Are there credit lawyers out there that I can hire to sort this out for me?  all I have to confirm that I paid (and this should be enough), is a piece of paper from the credit shark law firm that both accounts were paid in full.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wrong information/credit dispute

I'd two things. First, I would contact via mail whomever is reporting the balance (e.g. the CC if reporting the $$$ or collection agency if reporting the balance) and enclose a copy of your proof of payment. Mention to them that they are reporting a balance on a paid account and ask them to either update to $0, or if you don't need the history in the case of an OC, ask for deletion.

Give them a little time to respond since most only update 1x/month. If after a month there is no response or no change to your CR(s), then mail a dispute to the CRA(s). Enclose a copy of the letter you mailed to whomever is reporting, enclose a copy of the payment proof, and ask them to delete for you.

New Visitor

Thanks a lot...sorry what are the CRA(s)?

New Visitor

I'm guessing Credit Reporting Agencies....?....if so....which ones?  All of them (Equifax, Experian...whats the 3rd?)?

Regular Contributor

credit reporting agencies (experian, transunion, and equifax)

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.