New Visitor
ciacms

Wrong information/credit dispute

I had some credit card debt in the past.  I went into a delinquent status and had debt shark law firms come after me.  Luckily I was able to change jobs to a much higher paying job and pay off both cards with around $7000 on each.  Unluckily, it still shows on my credit report as those cards never being paid.  I disputed the charges on the credit report websites (equifax etc) but, the status remains the same.

Are there credit lawyers out there that I can hire to sort this out for me?  all I have to confirm that I paid (and this should be enough), is a piece of paper from the credit shark law firm that both accounts were paid in full.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Wrong information/credit dispute

I'd two things. First, I would contact via mail whomever is reporting the balance (e.g. the CC if reporting the $$$ or collection agency if reporting the balance) and enclose a copy of your proof of payment. Mention to them that they are reporting a balance on a paid account and ask them to either update to $0, or if you don't need the history in the case of an OC, ask for deletion.

Give them a little time to respond since most only update 1x/month. If after a month there is no response or no change to your CR(s), then mail a dispute to the CRA(s). Enclose a copy of the letter you mailed to whomever is reporting, enclose a copy of the payment proof, and ask them to delete for you.

New Visitor
ciacms

Thanks a lot...sorry what are the CRA(s)?

New Visitor
ciacms

I'm guessing Credit Reporting Agencies....?....if so....which ones?  All of them (Equifax, Experian...whats the 3rd?)?

Regular Contributor
MsTucker09

credit reporting agencies (experian, transunion, and equifax)

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}