cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrote a GW letter and they changed my Trade line..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrote a GW letter and they changed my Trade line..

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. I have been searching online and through the Forums and cant find what I am looking for.  I wrote a good will letter to American Express to ask them to remove an account from my credit file. I was in the process of getting medically separated from the USMC and I didn't have the money to pay my card for a time.. They sent me to collections and eventually when my finances had stabilized, I began making payments and paid the account off..

About two years later (last month,)  I decided to give a good will letter a shot and see if they would work with me..

I had a "FP" which is Failed to Pay on my trade line. They put it on there for the month that I paid off the account. (this was something like oct of 13.) I had previously wrote them and asked them to remove this "FP" because I DID pay off the debt. They would not.

So now when they received the letter they did not remove the account from my credit file, but they did move the "FP" from oct of 13 to this month!! The FP is now on my trade line for Aug of 14??

So I guess a couple of questions...

1. Does this "FP" do damage like a missed payment, or is it just a code that is used to signal when the account was paid off...

2. If it does do damage isn't it illegal for them to change the last bad mark from when it was paid off in Oct of 13 to now?? I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't do a "negative rollback" or whatever its called.. which is instead of the negative mark being on my report a year ago.. its now on there for this month?? So now I would have to wait 7 full years for it to be gone instead of the 6 years I was down to??

ANY help would really be appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wrote a GW letter and they changed my Trade line..

I'd be interested in seeing what the forum thinks on the negative rollback...

bumping it

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 2 of 6
dursty87
Established Contributor

Once a CO has been paid both the OC/CA TL's have to reflect that it was paid,closed.  

As far as it reporting...did it update every month from Oct 13 - Aug 14?  If it changed the DOFD then this would be re aging and is highly illegal.  

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. I have been searching online and through the Forums and cant find what I am looking for.  I wrote a good will letter to American Express to ask them to remove an account from my credit file. I was in the process of getting medically separated from the USMC and I didn't have the money to pay my card for a time.. They sent me to collections and eventually when my finances had stabilized, I began making payments and paid the account off..

About two years later (last month,)  I decided to give a good will letter a shot and see if they would work with me..

I had a "FP" which is Failed to Pay on my trade line. They put it on there for the month that I paid off the account. (this was something like oct of 13.) I had previously wrote them and asked them to remove this "FP" because I DID pay off the debt. They would not.

So now when they received the letter they did not remove the account from my credit file, but they did move the "FP" from oct of 13 to this month!! The FP is now on my trade line for Aug of 14?? What they have done is negate any Fico score gains you may have made from the aging of this from Oct of 2013, you will most likely see a Fico drop of some sort if you are tracking Fico scores. When they do this the CO looks brand new in the eyes of Fico and is scored as such even though the actual CO was years ago.  Since you were military at the time I would check and see if you can use military exclusions against them to get it removed or at least negated to something less damaging. IMO it is highly possible this action is illegal since you had already paid them off. I think I would file a CFPB complaint on them if you cannot find some special military exclusion to use against them.

So I guess a couple of questions...

1. Does this "FP" do damage like a missed payment, or is it just a code that is used to signal when the account was paid off...  Yes its a derog mark

2. If it does do damage isn't it illegal for them to change the last bad mark from when it was paid off in Oct of 13 to now?? I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't do a "negative rollback" or whatever its called.. which is instead of the negative mark being on my report a year ago.. its now on there for this month?? So now I would have to wait 7 full years for it to be gone instead of the 6 years I was down to?? No, the DoFD sets the amount of time it can report this is the first occurence of a 30 day late that leads to the CO and is not the date you paid it off.

ANY help would really be appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No they were not updating it every month. The last update was the month I paid it off and they put a "FP" on Oct 2013.. They were not updating it since because it was paid off.. Then I did the GW letter deal and they still have no info from when I paid it off to now, but they changed the "FP" from oct 2013 to Aug 2014.. I think this has to be illegal..

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your help I will look into it more on Monday.. I guess the only thing I need to know is what the best course to take if I find out what they did was illegal? Do I file a complaint to some agency or go to the court house and file a lawsuit??

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.