Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XM Radio - is this legal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

XM Radio - is this legal?

A few years ago, I had an XM radio account but I canceled it because I couldn't get a signal at work, and that is where I wanted to listen to it. My uncle is a truck driver and he also had an account around the same time for his truck. He doesn't have it anymore and I am not sure when he canceled his. We used to live at the same address, but we have different last names. Yesterday he got a letter saying he owed money to XM and if he didn't pay it, it would go to collections. He called XM and when he gave them the account number, it came up as my account. I haven't had an account in at least 2 years and I don't remember ever getting any letters about owing money. If it really was something I owed, how on earth could they try to transfer it over to my uncle? We never had account together and I never used his name anywhere on my account. The address may have been the same, but I don't see how XM could know for sure that he actually knows me...it could be a 2 flat apartment or something for all they know! He paid the money, but if he hadn't, could they have legally put it on his credit report?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: XM Radio - is this legal?

Yes, the CA could have put it on his CR. CRAs do not verify the information given them.

Wrong and inaccurate information showing up on a person's CR happens all the time.  It is left up to the consumer to prove it is not their account.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't understand how XM could try to pass an account on to someone else who had nothing to do with it to begin with. It's paid now but I think he was going to call and ask about it again today, as it doesn't seem right to me.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through a very similar incident a few weeks ago.  Got a bill from a CA out of the blue for $600 on a Dish Network account that I supposedly owed.  I was very frustrated as I hadn't used their service for about 3.5 years.

I will spare all the details, but talked with the CA rep who believed it to be an error but her hands was tied, and then spoke with 2 Dish Network reps with no real results.  Finally I found the email to the CEO of Dish Network and sent an email documenting out all the facts and records of the phone conversations I had, and how if I had owed them money they failed to ever contact me prior to 3.5 years later. I went on to say they had obviously made a partial mistake as they owned up to and offered a partial credit, and I needed them to admit the rest of their mistake.  My final closing remarks was this was beyond the SOL anyhow.

Within the next day or two, I got an email and phone call (on new number) indicating all charges had been removed from my account and all negative information from my credit reports.

I felt very fortunate to have it resolved.  My point being, after learning it was yours then your uncle should have let you handle it.  We don't know the specific details of your situation, but based on my experience I believe it was possible you could have gotten it taken care of without paying them assuming it was a true mistake on XM's behalf and it was put in front of the right person.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't understand why he paid it...it hadn't gone to collections yet, but it was a small amount so I'm guessing the threat outweighed not paying it (although if he didn't pay, it probably would have been easy to dispute since it wasn't in his name at all.) My parents still live at the same address so if they had mailed me anything, I still would have gotten it. Hopefully he can find out more if he calls them again today...it is just still so strange to me!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.