Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yayyy!!! My Capitol One Secured Card arrived today

tag
crrredit
Established Contributor

Re: Yayyy!!! My Capitol One Secured Card arrived today

Find out when your statement cuts. Use your card as much as you want without going over the limit, then, right before your statement date, pay it all off except for less than 10%. Stop using your card until your statement cuts. Once your statement cuts, go ahead and pay the balance in full. You don't want to let a balance continue to the next statement, because you'll have to start paying interest. And generally, once you start paying interest, that means interest will start adding up on each new purchase beginning the moment you make the purchase. Once this starts, it takes up to 2 full cycles of paying in full to get to a point where you're not paying interest again. When you get new cards, pay all of them in full right before your statement cuts, then don't use the cards until the statement cuts. This is the amount they report to the credit bureaus. You only want one of your cards reporting any balance, and keep it below 10%. I've found after months of trial and error that leaving 5% on one card gives me the most possible points on my scores. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking to apply for a mortgage within the next 12 month's, be careful how much you app. You definitely do not want a whole lot of new accounts opened right before shopping for a mortgage. I'd go with maximum 2 more card's, or 3 cards total, and stop. No more newly opened accounts.
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crrredit wrote:

Find out when your statement cuts. Use your card as much as you want without going over the limit, then, right before your statement date, pay it all off except for less than 10%. Stop using your card until your statement cuts. Once your statement cuts, go ahead and pay the balance in full. You don't want to let a balance continue to the next statement, because you'll have to start paying interest. And generally, once you start paying interest, that means interest will start adding up on each new purchase beginning the moment you make the purchase. Once this starts, it takes up to 2 full cycles of paying in full to get to a point where you're not paying interest again. When you get new cards, pay all of them in full right before your statement cuts, then don't use the cards until the statement cuts. This is the amount they report to the credit bureaus. You only want one of your cards reporting any balance, and keep it below 10%. I've found after months of trial and error that leaving 5% on one card gives me the most possible points on my scores. 

Thanks for you reponse,

My Due Date is on the 8th every month and the statment cut day is the 11th. My Secured CC amount is $200, So if I spend 70 dollars a month pay 65 on the 8th and the remaining balance on the 12. So when do I use the Card again?

Can I use it Now? lol

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If you're looking to apply for a mortgage within the next 12 month's, be careful how much you app. You definitely do not want a whole lot of new accounts opened right before shopping for a mortgage. I'd go with maximum 2 more card's, or 3 cards total, and stop. No more newly opened accounts.

@Anonymous looking to apply for the mortgage mid Nov this year, I'm working on getting my last 2 baddies off my CR and waiting for the Secure CC to report.  So should I apply for 2 more w/ my CU @ the beginning of August?

Message 14 of 15
crrredit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@crrredit wrote:

Thanks for you reponse,

My Due Date is on the 8th every month and the statment cut day is the 11th. My Secured CC amount is $200, So if I spend 70 dollars a month pay 65 on the 8th and the remaining balance on the 12. So when do I use the Card again?

Can I use it Now? lol

You can use the card again anytime after the statement cuts. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.