cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yep! Discover IT approved 5 months BK7 post discharge!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep! Discover IT approved 5 months BK7 post discharge!

Hi all!

I decided to pull the trigger and apped online, Discover IT said sorry we won't approved for 0% etc...(Of course I knew that!) BUT they asked me (online) if I'd take a card with higher rate but no AF which I took it since I always PIF so APR isn't of a concern to me now!

Approved with $1,600 limit!

So now I have Merrick Visa ($600) opened August 2015, Barclay Rewards MC $1,500 opened September 2015 and today with Discover IT for $1,600!

I was thinking since 3 cards would be perfectly enough for me to rebuild my credit after a divorce that wrecked my 800+ FICO scores couple years ago. My concern is would Merrick Visa waive $72 AF when it's due August 2016? If it's highly unlikely then I should app one more card and then prepare to close Merrick before August 2016. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone! *whew*

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Yep! Discover IT approved 5 months BK7 post discharge!

CONGRATS!!!

That's great news!

Message 2 of 14
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats on approvals... Nice approval w/both Discover & Barclay....you could let these 3 age and not app for anything else right now or maybe do a Cap 1 since I hear they are very forgiving after BK and you already have 2 banks in hand.. check Cap 1 pre-approvals to see what you get,,then you could cancel the ugly Merrick and have your 3 majors age together..I know others are gonna have an input on this one...
I just despise those pay for credit cards so much even those believe me been there b4 you have to start somewhere but since you got these now I think you can move onward and drop them,,

1 thing is annual fee not due to next yr. so you got no rush there you could just build score then look better then
Good Luck on you credit journey !!!!!!!!

Smiley Wink

*edit 

spelling 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@9CLINE wrote:

Congrats on approvals... Nice approval w/both Discover & Barclay....you could let these 3 age and not app for anything else right now or maybe do a Cap 1 since I hear they are very forgiving after BK and you already have 2 banks in hand.. check Cap 1 pre-approvals to see what you get,,then you could cancel the ugly Merrick and have your 3 majors age together..I know others are gonna have an input on this one...
I just despise those pay for credit cards so much even those believe me been there b4 you have to start somewhere but since you got these now I think you can move onward and drop them,,

1 thing is annual fee not due to next yr. so you got no rush there you could just build score then look better then

Smiley Wink

*edit 

spelling 

9CLINE,

Thanks!

When I first started in August 2015 I had no choice but to accept mailing offer from Merrick with $72 AF (I've NEVER paid any AF in my whole life before filing for BK7) but it's at least foot in the door. All of suddent Barclay and Discover approved me without AF afterwards!

I couldn't go for Capital One because I burned them in my BK7 and I did the pre-qaul on CapOne website yesterday it still blacklist me. I beleive CapOne will let me in after 1 year (not sure 1 year filing or 1 year discharge date?).

I'll wait and see other's chiming in about if Merrick does waive AF and how often before making decision to try one more non-AF card.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 14
alisadarrick
Regular Contributor

Hi - Glad to hear about your Discover IT approval! On another note how did your EQ jump 129 points?

BK7 Meeting of Creditors 12/14 Discharged 2/15
EQ 630
EX 631
TU 653
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alisadarrick wrote:

Hi - Glad to hear about your Discover IT approval! On another note how did your EQ jump 129 points?

Thanks, Alisadarrick. I posted here today, look for my post "Hey Equifax! Knock it off with teasing!!!" I'm as puzzled as you are with huge FICO jump!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The prequal will not indicate if you are in the blackout period (12 months from a CO). The easiest way to figure that out is to apply and if you are denied with no hard pull, then you are in the blackout.
Message 7 of 14
SupraTurbo2jz
Regular Contributor

Congrats. Wifey just got approved for both of these cards 6 months post bk too Apple Barclays 2k Discover IT 1k and they did the same with her no zero but approved none-the less. 

CH 7 BK discharged 05/15 goal scores 680 across the board
Current Score: TU 657 EQ 676 EX 657 FICO pull 03/20/17

photo cabelas 3700.jpg
 photo Disney siggy 5000.png photo SWP Premier 2500.png photo virgin america 2300.jpg photo lexus 2500.png photo toyota 2500.png photo kays1500.jpg photo hsn4000.png photo GoodSam 1000.png photo buckle 900.jpg photo af 250.png photo valero.jpg photo fingerhut.jpg
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@9CLINE wrote:

Smiley Wink

*edit 

spelling 

9CLINE,

Thanks!

When I first started in August 2015 I had no choice but to accept mailing offer from Merrick with $72 AF (I've NEVER paid any AF in my whole life before filing for BK7) but it's at least foot in the door. All of suddent Barclay and Discover approved me without AF afterwards!

I couldn't go for Capital One because I burned them in my BK7 and I did the pre-qaul on CapOne website yesterday it still blacklist me. I beleive CapOne will let me in after 1 year (not sure 1 year filing or 1 year discharge date?).

I'll wait and see other's chiming in about if Merrick does waive AF and how often before making decision to try one more non-AF card.

Cheers!

Was the card in default (Charge Off) at the time you filed? Thats what will determine if you are in a blackout or not. If you were only behind a few payments, it may not flag in their system as a Charge Off.

Message 9 of 14
tiffjtiffj
Contributor

Wow... You did it congrats!!!

Current EQ 634 TU08 670 EX 627
Garden: Take #25 (2017 - ouch)
2017 Goals: Citi Premier
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.