Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You CAN have more than 2 Cap1 - Here is how you find out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

You CAN have more than 2 Cap1 - Here is how you find out

Many people have posted inquiring if you can have more than 2 Cap1 Cards..... I asked the Executive Repsonse team how I could find out if that was true and the fella told me that you just simply look at the Terms and Conditions on the website for each card and it will tell you.  Its under "what may disqualify me", for example for a venture card it says having more than 5 capital one venture cards will disqualify you.

As of today:

I have Capital One Platium, Secured, Capital One Venture Card, and Capital One QuickSilver.....

So just check the terms of service to see if it applies to you....... Enjoy!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
xosamandaxo
Regular Contributor

Re: You CAN have more than 2 Cap1 - Here is how you find out

I had no idea this was a rule. I have 2 secured cap1 cards, figured I'd  try applying for a unsecured. I got a denial that said no because I have too many cards, and their decision did not affect my credit score.  I really hope I didn't get a HP for that!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a HP when you get that. Happened to me.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, now it makes a little more sense, and I know what I can apply for in the future.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main thing is that you can only have two platinum accts and 5 signature accts. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The main thing is that you can only have two platinum accts and 5 signature accts. 

No, the main thing is if the card you are applying for is for "average credit" then you cannot have two or more existing cap one cards - of ANY type. If the card you are applying for is for "excellent credit", then you cannot have five cap one accounts of any type.

The only exception to this pattern is the Spark for Business card for average credit - that one has a five existing account limit.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not a HP when you get that. Happened to me.

I didn't get a hard pull the first time I got denied for that, but I DID get a HP the second time about a month later.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly what I am saying but we refer to them as signature and platinum.

yes I said we.........

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly what I am saying but we refer to them as signature and platinum.

yes I said we......... Ummm.... Is there a hamster in your pocket?

Actually its NOT quite the same at all. You cannot have two platinum (average credit) cards AND  five signature (excellent credit) cards. The hard limit is five cards.

If you have one PL and one Sig, you cannot get another PL card, but you CAN get three more Sig cards. Thats exactly where I'm at right now - I have a QS1 and a QS card, but my current scores don't qualify me for the higher tier cards yet, so I'm stuck.  If you have two Sig cards you cannot get a PL card at all.

The idea is to push you upward to the higher tier cards.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we are lost in translation. Im just making sure that everyone understands you could potentially have 5 QS Cards with Cap1. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.