12rakesh

Zero balances on multiple credit cards

Hello:

Is it a good idea to have zero balances on multiple credit cards? My over all utilization is around 9%. I have 12 credit Inquiries. My FICO score (EQUIFAX) is 648. My revolving balance is $6400 and my creidt line is around $66000. My closing is in the next 2 months. So what would I need to do to bump up my score by 30-40 points at least.?

Thanks 

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
azguy13

Re: Zero balances on multiple credit cards

12rakesh wrote:

Hello:

Is it a good idea to have zero balances on multiple credit cards? My over all utilization is around 9%. I have 12 credit Inquiries. My FICO score (EQUIFAX) is 648. My revolving balance is $6400 and my creidt line is around $66000. My closing is in the next 2 months. So what would I need to do to bump up my score by 30-40 points at least.?

Thanks 

Since your UTI is already between the magical 1%-9% range, it will be extremely hard to raise your score by 30-40 points unless you have current baddies on your report that you can get rid of.

If you have open collections of any kind or any recent 30, 60, 90, 120+ lates reporting, you need to send letters to whichever creditor is reporting it and ask politely to have them removed. I did this to remove a 60 day back in 2010 before I applied for a mortgage and it worked. I simply explained the situation and they were simpathetic.

What does your current credit profile look like? Any potential negatives reporting?

NFCU Flagship $25,000 I AMEX SPG $23,000 I Chase Sapphire Preferred $17,500 I Discover IT $12,000 I
12rakesh

Thanks for the suggestions. I truely appreciate it.  Below are the details. I would appreciate your suggestions 

Total Accounts 16 

Accounts with balances 9 

Revolving balance 6,476

Total credit line  $65000

Credit enquiries : 12 

Payment history : Very good ( 30 day late fee in April 2011 on two credit cards)

Amount of debt : Very good 

Lenght of credit history:  Not good (2.5 years)

Amount of new credit : BAD 

No derogatory remarks or negative indicators at all 

I actually ended up applying for 4-5 new credit cards in the month of November and december last year that kind of killed my score. But at that time I did not think I would plan buying a new home.

Would paying down the entire revolving balance increase my score ? or would I need to do anything else? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Contributor
gdale6

12rakesh wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I truely appreciate it.  Below are the details. I would appreciate your suggestions 

Total Accounts 16 

Accounts with balances 9 

Revolving balance 6,476

Total credit line  $65000

Credit enquiries : 12 

Payment history : Very good ( 30 day late fee in April 2011 on two credit cards)

Amount of debt : Very good 

Lenght of credit history:  Not good (2.5 years)

Amount of new credit : BAD 

No derogatory remarks or negative indicators at all 

I actually ended up applying for 4-5 new credit cards in the month of November and december last year that kind of killed my score. But at that time I did not think I would plan buying a new home.

Would paying down the entire revolving balance increase my score ? or would I need to do anything else? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Taking that 9 accounts reporting balances down to 1 reporting is going to get you some points, you utilization overall is at 10%, get it on to just 1 card and reducing it below 10% will also grab you some points as well. The 30 day lates are not hitting your score they dont usually after 2 years have past they are considered minor but I would still send GW letter to them to see if they will help you out. Good luck :smileyhappy:

EX Cred Ses 08/14: 767 ; EX Fico 04 V2 06/14: 775; EX Fico 08 07/14 778 ; EX Fico 08 BC 07/14: 800
EQ Fico 05/14 781 ; EQ MPM 07/14: 721
TU Fico 8 07/14: 719; TU MPM 06/14 706
12rakesh

Thanks gdale6. I was thinking on that lines as well. Just having balances on one or two cards.. 

Thanks much

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+