Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? about getting a tax lein deleted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

? about getting a tax lein deleted

Hi everyone. I have a tax lien on my credit report that should have never been there to begin with. The state told me that I have a business which I did not pay property taxes on, but I've never owned a business, let alone a building for it. I went to the tax office and they released the lien, but they're telling me that all I need to do is mail a copy of the satisfaction paper they gave me to the bureaus and that the bureaus will delete it. Is this accurate or is there something else I need to do?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ? about getting a tax lein deleted

If the paper just says released, you will go nowhere with the credit bureaus. If the lien wasn't yours then I would fight it with the court first. I wish you luck and don't give upSmiley Wink

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a tax lien on my credit report that should have never been there to begin with. The state told me that I have a business which I did not pay property taxes on, but I've never owned a business, let alone a building for it. I went to the tax office and they released the lien, but they're telling me that all I need to do is mail a copy of the satisfaction paper they gave me to the bureaus and that the bureaus will delete it. Is this accurate or is there something else I need to do?

I would consider it potential ID Theft, Use FCRA 605B to get it removed.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it's identity theft, more of an error in documentation. They admitted it should have never been billed to me and released it, but it still shows up as a judgement on my CR as if it's someting I neglected to pay. Is there any way I can get it deleted?

Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it's identity theft, more of an error in documentation. They admitted it should have never been billed to me and released it, but it still shows up as a judgement on my CR as if it's someting I neglected to pay. Is there any way I can get it deleted?

You have to contact the agency who placed the lien and ask that it be withdrawn due to procedural error this is the way it gets removed from your CR

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
The wording of withdrawal is the key to the lien removal.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
+1
The wording of withdrawal is the key to the lien removal.

Gotcha. I think the people at my local tax office are too lazy to take the time to make that request for me. I'd think there would be a standard form they could just fill out that they should already have or be aware of? They keep telling me what I have is enough. Ugh!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to send what you have to the bureaus - if it removes - then you are good - if not - take a copy of the denial back to your state people and tell them you need a WITHDRAWAL and show them the denial from the bureau.   It may be an extra step - but if they are arguing that what you have is enough - at least you'll have something to show them that it isn't. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know when I was fighting my tax lien from Oregon with the credit bureaus, my paper said Released and Extinguished. Transunion took it off a month later when I mailed them because Extinguished meant to them that it was deleted. Experian went back in forth for a few months before deleting it. Equifax took me a little over a year, always saying it says released but never bringing up the Extinguished part. Finally had to write to the court house in town because Equifax was saying it was showing as released on their credit verification process. The clerk wrote me a nice letter back on their letter head saying that my tax lien was deleted from record a month after I paid it and thats why it says extinquished. Equifax deleted it instantly when I mailed them that letter. It was a long hard battle with Equifax. Hope this story helps.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.