cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add Authorized user to help their credit score?

tag
ScottL
New Contributor

add Authorized user to help their credit score?

My fiance has never had a credit card or any kind of loan since she was 18.  She had a couple collections that she settled and or paid in full recently, but without my help so I wasnt able to help her try and negotiate to have them remove. So we are going to try and do what we can and see if we can get them removed, but either way... she needs some credit.  So she just opened a Capital One secured card for her first ever credit card. Limit is only like $200.

I went through a similar rebuilding period a few years ago, started off with Cap One secured card, and now my score is in the 680-700 range and getting real high limit cards recently. So I thought about maybe adding her as an authorized user to a few of my cards in an effort to help jump start her rebuilding process (never said id actually giver her a card though lol).

So my question is this... my oldest tradeline cards are from 2013, but have smaller limits ($750ish)... but my most recent cards within the past 6 months or so, have $5000-$7000 limits, but the age of the credit cards are very young.  Would it be better to add her as a user to the higher limit cards with no balances to show amount of credit, but new credit?  or better to add her to the older cards, but lower limits?  I am not sure which would be better

Thank you for any help ahead of time.

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: add Authorized user to help their credit score?

@ScottL wrote:

My fiance has never had a credit card or any kind of loan since she was 18.  She had a couple collections that she settled and or paid in full recently, but without my help so I wasnt able to help her try and negotiate to have them remove. So we are going to try and do what we can and see if we can get them removed, but either way... she needs some credit.  So she just opened a Capital One secured card for her first ever credit card. Limit is only like $200.

I went through a similar rebuilding period a few years ago, started off with Cap One secured card, and now my score is in the 680-700 range and getting real high limit cards recently. So I thought about maybe adding her as an authorized user to a few of my cards in an effort to help jump start her rebuilding process (never said id actually giver her a card though lol).

So my question is this... my oldest tradeline cards are from 2013, but have smaller limits ($750ish)... but my most recent cards within the past 6 months or so, have $5000-$7000 limits, but the age of the credit cards are very young.  Would it be better to add her as a user to the higher limit cards with no balances to show amount of credit, but new credit?  or better to add her to the older cards, but lower limits?  I am not sure which would be better

No, just let her build her own accounts. She may need to get a second secured card, SDFCU is a good option. After a few months she should app for Cap One unsecured cards (QS1 and Platinum)

Message 2 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@ScottL wrote:

To ensure that you two can do the AU successfully (address correlation), do any of your intended cards ask for the SSN of the AU? Reason I ask this is because I boosted my step daughter's credit by adding her to a prior cap one card that I had, and once it showed on the CRAs, I then added her to a few others that are known to not report well if there's address variations (her, and I never shared a common address).

Message 3 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

they do ask for her SSN, but we have never shared an address/lived together yet but will by the end of the year.

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 4 of 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@ScottL wrote:

they do ask for her SSN, but we have never shared an address/lived together yet but will by the end of the year.

Get the reporting confirmed with one of the SSN cards. It'll possibly take up to three months to show, then add away on the rest.

Ideally, age is preferred over limits, as some lenders will toss aside AU accounts if its manual UW. YMMV.

I'm assuming you're not giving her the cards (hint hint), until there's a wedding band involved.....Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just done the same.  I have added my two teens (will not give them the cards) so they can start a credit file.  I have added my fiance as well though he likely won't use the card either but get his own-will just help add to his file.

I don't have any worries about split ups though, we've been together almost 7 years, we are a blended family so we aren't rushed to marry Smiley Wink

We have goals together and are building towards those goals/life and this includes helping eachother financially/creditwise when possible.

IF things go sour, you have the authority to immediately delete an AU user you know?  You can also not give her the card, you can also monitor the account, or use when you are with her only.

For those of us w/loved ones with very thin/non-existent credit files this strategy of AU makes sense.  Of course YMMV.

I do wonder about one thing though, do they report to the credit bureaus their use even if you never 'activate' the card (even if you keep it). That I wasn't sure of.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a friend who actually did that for me when I went through a very messy divorce and couldn't get anything in my name...he opend up a joint bank account which was ultimatly mine he got a secure card in his name with my money from USAA and added me as and AU right then and there when it was just $250..that was the only card I have had for the past 3 yrs....Never was late.. low UTI...Now I have established some credit I am in the process of purchasing my 1st home all because someone helped me out..and I would say if u are not planning on keeping her on ur cards for the duration put her on a card that u plan to cancel in the next yr BY then she would have gotten a larger CLI or a new card to cover the cost of the card u plan on canceling  it will be her Available credit that will take a hit if u remove her from ur higher cards unless she get approved that will cover that lost amount...thats why I can't close my secure card it stated out at @250 now its $4000 and my longest line a credit my new credit is only $700 once I close on my house I plan on applying for one of the major cards and a home depot or a lowes card 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add her on to the cards that have some history. I personally don't think it matters about the limit on the card as much. she's not going to have access to the cards so you don't have much to worried about.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't sound to me like your AAoA is significant enough to do her much good.  She's better off having a parent or someone that's got a 15-20 year old account add her as a AU for a year or two. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.