Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

addding father in law as authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

addding father in law as authorized user

here is the story 

my father in law has no credit at all he is 50 and has always paid for all his bills in cash, doesn't have a credit card (not even a secured one), or anything else that report's to the credit beraus. he is looking to buy a car but unfortunatly can afford to pay cash for it. so i was wondering if i add him as an authorized usser for one of my accounts (AoA 15 months, never late never over the limit 0% utilization). will that benefit his credit or it wont have any impact at all?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cassett
Contributor

Re: addding father in law as authorized user

Im sure it would benifit him. Especially if he just has limited credit file and no derogatorys.

I think it would take a few more accounts for him to get to where he needs to be for an auto loan though. 

Starting Score: EQ 8/14 545
Current Score: EQ 640
Goal Score:650 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

It should help him get started with revolving CCs, he is going to want 3 bankcards of his own, so as soon as your account is reporting I would try first to get 2 unsecured cards from Cap-1, with no derogs on file he has a good chance of being approved and if not then the secured card route would be the way to go.

Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Don't do it. Help him build his own credit profile. If he wants credit to finance a car then he should be doing what it takes to qualify for credit ... else buy a car for whatever cash he has available.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.