Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

addicted to credit acct.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: addicted to credit acct.....

Well like everyone stated...stop apping asap! Since Walmart already took AA be careful because Barclay could start balance chasing you. Since you are putting some of your balances over to a zero interest card make sure you don't use the cards you are balance transferring. Start knocking away on payments. Start with Walmart since you're over the limit and then maybe quickly pay down your cap one secured card and then close it to get the 200 deposits back and then immediately throw that 200 into another card with a high apr
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will it show negatively if i close the cap 1 secured card? its my oldest credt card. 

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advice here. Time to stop and let your credit scores grow. As to closing your account you need to see how much you need the credit line for you utilization score. When I received new credit I closed my two secured accounts, but it didn't effect my utilization score. Good luck to you.

Message 13 of 18
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Welcome bunnimom. What you need to do was already mentioned, which was garden. you need to lay low now and grow what you have. If you keep everything positive through this time, you will see improvements in your scores, leading to better things down the road.

I also recommend reading these threads not a little, but a TON, while you are gardening. The amount of info here is amazing and your knowledge will skyrocket! This will then be used to your advantage once the time has come to leave the garden.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you close your secured card (or any card for that matter) in good standing it'll stay on your reports for another 10 years. The only issue I see with closing it right now is that it'll drop your available credit causing an increase in UTI, which you definitely don't need or want right now
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only suggested paying it off and then closing it to utilize the 200 dollars for other debt. It is a catch 22 action. Since you were approved for a 2500 dollar CU card in the long term it won't make that much of a difference. Just my opinion. Why not knock out 400 dollars worth of debt with 200?
Message 16 of 18
greent
Frequent Contributor

I'll say to get UTI to about 1%. I used to max out my cards and ended up in a lot of credit trouble. scores dropped ended up with charge offs. late payments, defaults and a lot of stress. but i was really irresponsible with credit. Now I raised my scores and recently applied for some cards. I feel like I'm addicted too. Now i have 2% UTI and if I buy something  with a card I pay right away. It usually something under 10 dollars or so. I get happy using my cards and seeing score increase but I do not have any credit card debt. Well I could easily pay what I have charged right now. Its about 200. Maybe you can too. But it will help to get in the gerden and payoff credit cards. I think you would enjoy that more. Good luck!

Fico Tu 680 Ex 667 fako EQ 645

Message 17 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Opening bunches of new accounts and then immediately having high % utils on the accounts hoists the red flag indicating that the consumer is apparently living on credit

Walmart has apparenty already reached that conclusion.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.