cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding credit card?

tag
brannigan1

adding credit card?

I raised my scores to the low 700's recently. I am graded as a "C" on open accounts and a "C" on CC utilization. I show one furniture store account with a limit of $3000 and a 0 balance. Im not even sure its still an open account. It lists as "inactive"

I am using 0 in credit cards. I have a auto loan and a mortgage.

After raising my scores, im almost scared to apply for a credit card. Looking for expertise on this subject. Seems I kinda need to get a CC and charge one thing a month and pay it off or something on those lines. Just want to confirm and get some opinions. Thankyou

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: adding credit card?

Whose grades are these? If they're from Credit Karma, ignore them completely.

If you're aiming to raise your score further, you probably would benefit by having a credit card or three. But if you're uncomfortable having cards, then don't let anybody's raiting system pressure you into it.

Message 2 of 5
brannigan1

Yes, it was credit karma's grade but what I noticed about credit Karma was they were very close to my credit scores pulled by creditors versus the equifax monitoring of all 3 site, which was off by roughly 100 points to the positive side. It is really a disservice by these monitoring sites giving you inflated false scores.

Message 3 of 5
SpeeDj
Regular Contributor

They really aren't false scores, just a different scoring model than FICO, they are good to keep an eye on things though so I wouldn't discount them too much.

JP

TU:552 | EQ:561 | EX:567 | Starting Score [LP from 08]
TU:693 | EQ:682 | EX:700 | Current Score [11.21.13]
[720 Overall] Goal Score - The grass is greener in the garden! (Amex made me fall out... since 12.13)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

With the exception of monitoring new accounts and some changes to accounts, CK is OK.  But as far as scores go?  Absolutely worthless.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.