Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

americredit and charge off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

americredit and charge off

Good day to all,

I have a charge-off on my credit reports from a car that was repossessed six years ago by americredit. I tried to contact americredit and they said they did not have the account. They said the account was sold to a collection agency.  I contacted the collection agency that supposedly had the account and they said they sold it in a bulk transaction and did not know who has it now. I disputed the charge off with each credit reporting agency and americredit affirmed that they had the account. I know have the means to pay the debt, but I do not know what to do next.

Need assistance,

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: americredit and charge off

If Americredit sold the account then the balance showing owed should now be 0$ on your credit report -- the notation of the charge off is still correct.  You can then look for another entry from a CA for something around the same amount and sees who owns it now... If you can't find an open CA account that you would be able to link to this account there is not much you can do until they make some contact with you.

Best of luck.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 203 bravo for your reply. The amount I owe still shows up on my credit report and it is listed as a charge off with americredit. Its been about eight months since I contacted americredit. The phone number listed is americredit's general number.

dh3

Message 3 of 5
CS800
Super Contributor

Sorry to piggyback on this thread.

I have a KAy Jewellers collection and I know i was contacted by a CA last year. But reading this thread it seems that if the debt was sold to a CA, then it needs to report $0 from Kay?

Currently on all 3 reports, it lists only Kay Jewellers - Accoutn charged off and $85 written off. How can that be? Should I contact Kay? If it's still with them, I can do a PFD. But im still confused that last September, I got a call from a CA for them

Wait no phone numbers listed for them on the CR's. Pfff.

Message 4 of 5
203bravo
Established Contributor

CS800 -

It is common for some creditors to retain the debt and contract with CAs to attempt to collect.  Thus, if Sears is still showing the amount owed then it is most likely that they still own this debt. 

It would be better to resolve the debt with the OC (once a CA hits your report your score will drop from that entry), but some will not deal with the customer any longer once it's been referred to the CA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.