Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody have questions?advice?help?

tag
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Re: anybody have questions?advice?help?

Guinness I live in Illinois (since 2002). The lien is in Georgia.

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 21 of 31
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

I was wondering if you would provide some assistance on a concern:

1) What is the "safest" way to pay off a collection from 2007? Over the phone vs. mail? Check vs. Money Order vs. using credit card/debit card?

2) What would be the best way to go about a PFD once the debt is paid?

Thanks ahead of time!

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 31
shanac
Frequent Contributor

CashOnDelivery, while you wait for one of the experts to answer your question, let me chime in with my experience. I very recently successfully negotiated two PFDs over the phone using a major credit card. The first one removed within two weeks from all 3 CBs. The second one sent me an email while I was on hold w/them, guaranteeing the PFD. As of last week it's been removed from all but TU. I'll give it a few more days before I contact them.

1. I think it's safe to do on phone. I actually prefer this method. I was able to appeal to the CA on a personal level this way.
I prefer using a CC because it's quicker. I didn't want to give checking account info to CA.

2. If you have a collection that's already paid then you need to send them goodwill letters asking them to remove from CRs. If they're unpaid, ask for PFD. With the second CA, they initially told me no. I'd only seen one successful PFD on this site w/my particular CA and it was from 2008! When they said no, we don't do PFD, I asked why not for me since I'd read online about them doing for "others". She said every case is different. I told her it was actually the exact same scenario as mine. She then wanted to know where I'd read that. I told her myfico. She shared w/her boss and they agreed to help. I say all of this to let you know that I don't think I would have been immediately successful with this CA if I'd handled via a letter. YMMV of course.

Good luck and welcome to the best forum out there!

Message 23 of 31
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

My fiancee has one that is an old charge off from capital one and it was sold to midland. So now he's got the sold/transferred zero balance on cap one and the $1525 for midland after fee's and penalties were added on. Any help to get midland and cap one or even just one off his reports would be great!

Message 24 of 31
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@FLAJenn wrote:

My fiancee has one that is an old charge off from capital one and it was sold to midland. So now he's got the sold/transferred zero balance on cap one and the $1525 for midland after fee's and penalties were added on. Any help to get midland and cap one or even just one off his reports would be great!

I have read Midland won't do a PFD but will normally accept a GW after it is PIF.

Message 25 of 31
mojobones89
Contributor

safest,would probably through the phone,mail can be misplaced,a fax can mishandled...etc,as long as you have the correct phone number and department,through the phone is not safe but FAST to get those issues settled and delt with.

Message 26 of 31
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Mojo I'm itching to apply for something with my updated scores! Lol. I'm actually researching how to proceed on my last CA & lien right now. Definitely not as exciting as applying for & being approved for a shiny new CC.

Message 27 of 31
mojobones89
Contributor

@shanac wrote:
Mojo I'm itching to apply for something with my updated scores! Lol. I'm actually researching how to proceed on my last CA & lien right now. Definitely not as exciting as applying for & being approved for a shiny new CC.

temptations,grr those dang temptations.

well i have already given you my advice but if you feel like you are 100% positive you will get approved then well go for it,but if there is that even .5% chance of doubt in your mind,then dont pull the trigger,regardless of what you do i will be happy as long as you stick to your word and help yourself by paying that tax lien Smiley Happy.

p.s is it worth the HP?

Message 28 of 31
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Nope! Not worth it. I don't "need" to have rewards cards this week. 😔Contacting the OC tomorrow to see if I can pay them & have them recall debt from CA. TheN I'll call the IRS regarding the state tax lien. I'm guessing I should call an office in Georgia since that's where it was filed??

Message 29 of 31
mojobones89
Contributor

@shanac wrote:
Nope! Not worth it. I don't "need" to have rewards cards this week. 😔Contacting the OC tomorrow to see if I can pay them & have them recall debt from CA. TheN I'll call the IRS regarding the state tax lien. I'm guessing I should call an office in Georgia since that's where it was filed??

btw i P.Med you

sounds like a plan.it will be worth it in the long run.

once you pay them off,then work to have those negative marks removed off your CR's.

when you finish all that.

YOUR BCP WILL BE RIGHT THERE CALLING YOUR NAME.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.