cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

been working so hard to rebuild my credit now this...

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

been working so hard to rebuild my credit now this...

I have been trying my best to improve my score and feel financially stable.

Good news: I got some baddie accounts deleted. I was also able to finally save up and pay off a judgment.

Bad news: I will be laid-off next Friday. I have been diligently looking for a month and no luck!

My currents bills are:

1) Auto-loan: $598/mo

2) Tuition: $500/mo

3) Student Loans: $200/mo

3) Rent: $500/mo

Luckily I don't have any CC bills at the moment since I am rebuilding my credit. I did get approved for CapOne Platinum but haven't received it yet in the mail.

*sigh* what a way to start off the new year. Smiley Sad any suggestion/advice on how I can approach in order to not have any of these accounts go delinquent and ruin my credit again!?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: been working so hard to rebuild my credit now this...

Sorry to hear 2012 isn't starting off so great for you. 

See if you qualify for a forebearance for the student loans and see about a deferment for the tuition.  I'd call up the company who holds your auto loan and see if they have a special program that will allow you tack any missed payments onto the tail end of the loan.  Not the ideal situation but it's something.   

Hopefully you find something soon!

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are going through that...focus on the experience and vow to do whatever it takes to not be there again. DW and I recently went through a situation with a cut in pay and I know how stressful it can be. It comes down to making some tough decisions and deciding what you are willing to give up.

Focus on these 3 areas and write the first two into a concise budget: income, expenses, and assets.

Starting with income....

1) Get any job. It doesn't matter if it is above you, beneath you, or just right. A minimum wage job for 40 hours a week will net you over $1,100/mo and that will keep a roof over your head and pay for your car (or food). Flip a burger, fry a fry, or shake a shake. It doesn't matter. The goal isn't to get a career in that job, it's to survive temporarily. You can always quit it as soon as you find a permanent job. Or if you can't find a full-time min. wage job, find two 20-hr jobs. Or three 20s and make an extra $500. Do whatever it takes.

2) Apply for unemployment now. You can get away with it because even if you got a job today, it'll take up to another 2 weeks before you see your first check.

3) Go back to HR. Ask if there's any sort of severence package. If not, are you anticipating one more check? If so, ask to change the W-4 IRS certificate for withholding. Change the fixed deduction to $0 vs. putting 1, 2, 3, or more dependents. You'll see a bigger paycheck. Do the same for state. Doing this for a payday or two or three won't hurt anything and any taxes wouldn't be paid anyway until 4/15/2013 at the worst. Also, if you have any fixed deductions, consider cancelling those too. YMMV on what those may be...e.g. suspend any 401(k) or savings.

4) Aside from working temporarily somewhere, start your own business. Again, unless your income is substantial where you'd have to pay quarterly, you can have income come in tax-free in the short term (just pay by next April). Mow lawns. Do landscaping. Shovel snow. Offer to deliver pizzas as a 1099er. Figure out what you like to do, even as a hobby, and do it for income.

5) We all have 24 hours in the day. It's how you use it that counts. I'd use the spare time to type up and send resumes. I remember being out of work right after school during a tough time in the economy and I sent about 25/week, and IMO, that was too little. If I was out of work tomorrow, I'd send out 100/week and aim for at least 5 interviews per week.

So, I'd do the following and write the income down in a budget format.

Then I'd move to expenses:

1) I'd start cancelling items like landline phone, cable, and other items not necessary. I'd keep a cell phone though, especially in a job hunt.

2) I'd consider selling the car if it meant saving $$$. $600/mo isn't cheap. I'd borrow $$$ to cover any deficiency and extra for a $4000 or so beater and I'd sell the car you have. Your monthly payments would drop by more than half and insurance would likely drop too. If there's extra equity, then you don't need another loan, you can pay it outright and save even more.

3) I'd stop going to school. You can always pick it up later. There's no point going to school if you can't pay the bill or have no place to call home or even not have a car due to any repo. You can always go back later on.

4) I'd go over my past statements and look to see where I spent my money and make changes as necessary. It's a temporary change and you'll find you'll save money in the process.

5) Make a list of every expense from most important to least and take the $$$ that's in the income column and pay off expenses on paper from top to bottom. Whatever you cannot pay for, then forget about it. Leave it off or increase income. I'd make sure housing, utilities, food were at the top, followed by car (or clunker), cell, and so on.

Finally, to get you over the next month or two or three, look at the assets you have. Consider selling them. Again, look at your car. Sell off any non-retirement investments or savings. Sell off stuff around your house you don't want, need, or never use.

I wouldn't worry about credit now. I'd worry about eating and having a roof over my head. That should be your focus. In your mind, pretend you'd have $0 in the bank effective tomorrow, with nothing else coming in, and take steps to earn that income. You don't want to be in a situation where you are eating away at savings. That goes away in a hurry.

Message 3 of 8
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

2) I'd consider selling the car if it meant saving $$$. $600/mo isn't cheap. I'd borrow $$$ to cover any deficiency and extra for a $4000 or so beater and I'd sell the car you have. Your monthly payments would drop by more than half and insurance would likely drop too. If there's extra equity, then you don't need another loan, you can pay it outright and save even more.

+1 on this.  $600/mo for a car is a serious payment you don't need.

Food/Roof/Power are paramount, cut everything else until you find something, and good luck to you!

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 4 of 8
pj421fly
Valued Member

+1 and look at things like cell phones, cable tv you really don't need them to survive, cut anywhere and everywhere you can. Buy lots of beans and potatoes and attack the job market agressively. Good Luck! Keep us updated....

Starting Score: TU-691 EQ-681 EX-693
Current Score: TU-826 EQ-816 EX-814
Goal Score: 830+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
2NE1
Established Contributor

thanks everyone for your advice! (esp. @llecs) I do need to get rid of this car... what was I thinking?! $600/mo... it was either that or $1200/mo renting a car for work Smiley Sad If I do sell it, it won't be the amount to fulfill my auto-loan... but at least I'll get rid of it... the tuition bill is actually a collection bill that I set up with the CA to satisfy it... now I'm gonna have to tell them I can't continue the payment so high Smiley Indifferent I'll keep you guys updated!

Message 6 of 8
improvedcredit
New Contributor

If you do decide to sell your car, just try to be sure to negotiate with finance company about your plan. Sometimes if you have a defiancy balance they will require you to pay it in full or keep with your monthly payment of $600 a month. Also to pay that amount for a few months and not having a car, will be quite a headache. It is just my suggestion to speak with the finance company before making such a move. I hope all works out for the best!!!

PS... Try using the KBB to get a rough estimate on what your car is worth. So at least you know what to expect.

Message 7 of 8
namvet
Established Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Sorry you are going through that...focus on the experience and vow to do whatever it takes to not be there again. DW and I recently went through a situation with a cut in pay and I know how stressful it can be. It comes down to making some tough decisions and deciding what you are willing to give up.

Focus on these 3 areas and write the first two into a concise budget: income, expenses, and assets.

Starting with income....

1) Get any job. It doesn't matter if it is above you, beneath you, or just right. A minimum wage job for 40 hours a week will net you over $1,100/mo and that will keep a roof over your head and pay for your car (or food). Flip a burger, fry a fry, or shake a shake. It doesn't matter. The goal isn't to get a career in that job, it's to survive temporarily. You can always quit it as soon as you find a permanent job. Or if you can't find a full-time min. wage job, find two 20-hr jobs. Or three 20s and make an extra $500. Do whatever it takes.

2) Apply for unemployment now. You can get away with it because even if you got a job today, it'll take up to another 2 weeks before you see your first check.

3) Go back to HR. Ask if there's any sort of severence package. If not, are you anticipating one more check? If so, ask to change the W-4 IRS certificate for withholding. Change the fixed deduction to $0 vs. putting 1, 2, 3, or more dependents. You'll see a bigger paycheck. Do the same for state. Doing this for a payday or two or three won't hurt anything and any taxes wouldn't be paid anyway until 4/15/2013 at the worst. Also, if you have any fixed deductions, consider cancelling those too. YMMV on what those may be...e.g. suspend any 401(k) or savings.

4) Aside from working temporarily somewhere, start your own business. Again, unless your income is substantial where you'd have to pay quarterly, you can have income come in tax-free in the short term (just pay by next April). Mow lawns. Do landscaping. Shovel snow. Offer to deliver pizzas as a 1099er. Figure out what you like to do, even as a hobby, and do it for income.

5) We all have 24 hours in the day. It's how you use it that counts. I'd use the spare time to type up and send resumes. I remember being out of work right after school during a tough time in the economy and I sent about 25/week, and IMO, that was too little. If I was out of work tomorrow, I'd send out 100/week and aim for at least 5 interviews per week.

So, I'd do the following and write the income down in a budget format.

Then I'd move to expenses:

1) I'd start cancelling items like landline phone, cable, and other items not necessary. I'd keep a cell phone though, especially in a job hunt.

3) I'd stop going to school. You can always pick it up later. There's no point going to school if you can't pay the bill or have no place to call home or even not have a car due to any repo. You can always go back later on.

4) I'd go over my past statements and look to see where I spent my money and make changes as necessary. It's a temporary change and you'll find you'll save money in the process.

5) Make a list of every expense from most important to least and take the $$$ that's in the income column and pay off expenses on paper from top to bottom. Whatever you cannot pay for, then forget about it. Leave it off or increase income. I'd make sure housing, utilities, food were at the top, followed by car (or clunker), cell, and so on.

Finally, to get you over the next month or two or three, look at the assets you have. Consider selling them. Again, look at your car. Sell off any non-retirement investments or savings. Sell off stuff around your house you don't want, need, or never use.

I wouldn't worry about credit now. I'd worry about eating and having a roof over my head. That should be your focus. In your mind, pretend you'd have $0 in the bank effective tomorrow, with nothing else coming in, and take steps to earn that income. You don't want to be in a situation where you are eating away at savings. That goes away in a hurry.  +1 excellent advice!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.