cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being sued in VA...update, help is appreciated!

tag
jcwang
Established Member

being sued in VA...update, help is appreciated!

Hey all, I apologize in advance for starting a new thread but my situation is a bit time sensistive and I need the most exposure as possible. My previous thread stated that I was being sued in Va (now live in Md) for a cc debt I incurred while in college; the debt is mine. I went through my credit reports and now, I'm even more confused than before. As for as the VA SOL goes, am I looking for dates with the collection agency (the one that is suing me) or from the original creditor? Also, does the fact that I sent a DV letter to them and they never got back to me (as far as I know) count for anything in this scenario? My thought process is as follows:

The first delinquency with the original creditor was in Jan '07 (SOL applies) but the date when the CA actually purchased the debt was Feb '09 it looks like (SOL does not apply). So given that information, I am going to assume worst case scenario that the Va SOL will NOT apply in my case and now, aside from requesting a continuance (which I will have to do anyway for scheduling reasons but will only delay the inevitable), I really have no idea what steps to take next. I have a little money saved up (not enough to pay the debt in full) and am considering turning to an attorney but also do not know how much that will cost and/or benefit me. I also am facing the issue of being tried in Va but living in Md so the distance issue of obtaining an attorney becomes a factor. I am looking for some direction from anyone who has either been through this before or is willing to help. Thank you everyone in advance, I really do appreciate any advice and suggestions that are provided.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: being sued in VA...update, help is appreciated!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.