Contributor

best buy card

Any one know how are not easy it is to get a best buy store card
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: best buy card

I got my reward zone mastercard a few years ago when my credit was at its worst, my scores would have been low 600's maybe high 500's. I also never had any negative credit card trade lines though. I believe that their actual store card is harder to get.  

Message 2 of 12
chevyman
Contributor

What was CL on reward zone card
Message 3 of 12
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

It was 500 dollars. 

Message 4 of 12
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@chevyman wrote:
Any one know how are not easy it is to get a best buy store card

I got a best buy store credit card when I was 18 years old with one other credit card that had a limit of $125. 

Message 5 of 12
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I was approved for a best buy store card two days ago, with a $500 limit. My score from them was 274 out of 298. Not sure how this score was generated, but they did pull EQ. I have a BK from '09 and a collection from '10. I also have a mortgage in good standing and two Visa cards issued in January '13 and April '13. Now I wasn't looking for a new inquiry, but since Citi is getting ready to take over all best buy accounts, I figured this would be a way in to Citi since they aren't all that BK friendly. My best buy app was processed by Cap1, so the changover hasn't occured yet.

Message 6 of 12
goosedog
Regular Contributor

They are a little more difficult to qualify for than your other store cards. HSBC used to be lax in its qualifying factors but now that the credit division was sold to CAP1, they have tightened up the rules. I tried getting that card a few weeks ago, and was denied. THey pulled EQ for me and my score was 613 at the time, and that's with student loans in good standing, a car loan in good standing and a major credit card.

Message 7 of 12
cazz
Regular Contributor

i actually just got approved for one in the store today... my credit limit was $500 and my eq fico is a 673. I walked out with a new cell and tablet.. so thats just my personal experience today... good luck

Message 8 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

I was approved for a best buy store card two days ago, with a $500 limit. My score from them was 274 out of 298. Not sure how this score was generated, but they did pull EQ. I have a BK from '09 and a collection from '10. I also have a mortgage in good standing and two Visa cards issued in January '13 and April '13. Now I wasn't looking for a new inquiry, but since Citi is getting ready to take over all best buy accounts, I figured this would be a way in to Citi since they aren't all that BK friendly. My best buy app was processed by Cap1, so the changover hasn't occured yet.

I know of no such scoring model that goes below 300. You sure it wasn't 374 out of 398? With a score that low I'm finding it hard to believe you got a $500 CL from Best Buy.

Message 9 of 12
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I've got the print out right in front of me. I did a search and found that they are indeed using some sort of different internal scoring system, because my actual EQ FICO is 708.  Maybe they don't care about being that selective since Citi is taking over? Regardless, i'll use it to buy an inexpensive laptop during back to school tax free week and use 6 months interest free financing.

Your credit score: 00274

Source: Equifax Credit Info Svcs

Date: 07/05/13

The range of scores: Scores from a low of 125 to a high of 298.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.