Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bouncing back from 180 day lates..

tag
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

bouncing back from 180 day lates..

Well, since joining the forum I've come quite a far way. I went from a 491 in February 2013 to a 619 via walmart Fico on 7/1. Now here is my major question. Both of my student loans went WAY behind, it was a hard time and I can explain it better later. Both accounts have a 60 day late, a 90 day late a 120 day late and a 150 day late and the kicker... SIX 180 day lates... for a total of twelve 180 days lates, two 150 day lates,  two 120 day lates, two 90 day lates and two 60 days lates... 

As of now, all of the lates except two of the 180 day lates (on each one) are over 2 years old. The next two 180's turn two years at the end of July and the end of august.  Not stated yet, I have a collection I have paid that will turn two years old in February 2015, BUT is listed as a collection as of July 2012. I stated in another thread were the collector called me via private number and left only his name and number, nothing else.. finally after months of getting 1-2 a month I answered demanded to know who he was, than paid it immediately...

At this point so I have ANY chance of getting my scores in the 700 before those lates hit seven years old and age off? Will all of these dings do less and less each month as Mt accounts age and my Credit lines grow? At this point I feel stuck in mediocrity.. I do know I'm doing something right, I received both my walmart card and Amazon card after being denied a few months prior and ironically my score was lower being approved. Even with a higher income position being offered to me in the coming weeks I feel stuck between a rock and a late payment.. any advice as how I can proceed and what cards to try for in the future would be appreciated.  I was originally thinking a chase freedom,  which can help me, but it looks like the sallie mae card after reading several threads would be more beneficial to me, but with this history can I even qualify before all these baddies drop?!? 

Also, I've attempted to good will my student loans multiple times this month, and the collection agency will not answer or return my calls..

Thanks everyone,  hopefully I didn't bore you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Re: bouncing back from 180 day lates..

No one? Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 11
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Might want to look into contacting Direct Loans (department of education) and see if your eligible for student loan rehab program which might help you out and bring you current but it will take a few monthly payments
Message 3 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Very close to a 700 may be possible.  My DH is very close with 180 late coming up on 3 years.  I think once utilization is down, 700 will pop up.  He's been up to 680.

Message 4 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

The Chase card may be a stretch with scores in the lower 600's, and they don't like recent lates.  Two years of 180's are considered 'recent'.  Don't blow an inquiry.  Let the accounts you have age....and keep working to get those loans rehabbed and the lates removed.  I think Ms. Mae will work with you.

Message 5 of 11
pisspoorcredit
New Contributor

joltdude is Correct! Contact who your student loans were sold to(ecmc, etc) and see about getting into a rehab program. You will need to make on-time monthly payments(that are very low...depending on the amount of loans) for a set period of months. Once that is completed, they will remove negative marks on your cerdit reports and transfer your remaining balance to an actual bank. I have JUST completed my rehab program this month and am waiting to get my paperwork. Next month or 2 I should see the difference and my CR's bounce back a lot.

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 510
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
New_Beginning
Frequent Contributor

@pisspoorcredit wrote:

joltdude is Correct! Contact who your student loans were sold to(ecmc, etc) and see about getting into a rehab program. You will need to make on-time monthly payments(that are very low...depending on the amount of loans) for a set period of months. Once that is completed, they will remove negative marks on your cerdit reports and transfer your remaining balance to an actual bank. I have JUST completed my rehab program this month and am waiting to get my paperwork. Next month or 2 I should see the difference and my CR's bounce back a lot.

How does the rehab work? I have to lates on my CR from 2012 with Sallie Mae been current before and after and SM wont budge on the GW. Could it work for me?

Starting Score: EQ 615 (MyFICO) TU 588 (Walmart) EX 576 (EX Website) Started this journey 06/26/2014
Current Score: EQ 710 (MyFICO) TU 673 (Walmart) TU 726 (MyFICO) EX 706 (MyFICO) As of Sep 2015
Goal Score: 750 or higher across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone for replying! I COMPLETLY forgot to mention I already did the rehab through Fedloan servicing, it was 9payments of $140, lowest they would go for $9500 worth of loans, the rep was also extremly rude and told me I shouldn't have a single problem paying that with a full time job, she also said ifi didn't start the rehab that day they were going to garnish my wages., I don't know how many of you make the lower spectrum of income, less than $20,000 (what I made at the time) but supporting a family and a child isn't easy. 

I finished the rehab and have now 5 on time payments of MORE than the monthly payment with Nelnet, which I can tell is helping me slowly. I want to apologize for not mentioning that part, I mentioned it another thread about trying to goodwill Fedloan, and I just spaced while posting this! On that regard, Fedloan told me explicitly "the information is correct and will not be removed regardless of situation" definitely the worst I've ever had to deal with. 

Again, I want to thank everyone who replied and gave me advice! I'm hoping after I pay down my 37% ULT (80% on my Busey card due to car repairs) ill see a more positive growth, espcially since nelnet is reporting now 

Message 8 of 11
denver133
Frequent Contributor

Cookie, I was in the same spot as you with my sallie make loans. Multiple 180 lates and it killed my score. I'm coming up on the 2 year mark as well 

do you have a credit card and not just store cards?  Might want to try a us bank secured card to help. Keep staying current and continue to age those factors. I am waiting one two major items to report off in the coming days and will be able to give you a closer look to the 700 mark.  

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 9 of 11
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

@denver133 wrote:

Cookie, I was in the same spot as you with my sallie make loans. Multiple 180 lates and it killed my score. I'm coming up on the 2 year mark as well 

do you have a credit card and not just store cards?  Might want to try a us bank secured card to help. Keep staying current and continue to age those factors. I am waiting one two major items to report off in the coming days and will be able to give you a closer look to the 700 mark.  

I have a total of six now, three cap one cards, two are mine one I'm a AU on, than my Busey credit card, than the two store cards. On the 17nth ill have 8 months of CC history reporting as well.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.