Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

building my score

I paid a lot of my bills that showed on my credit report 2 years ago.  but my score is still low, I have a secure credit card and use it scarcely, how can I get the negitives off my report so my score can move up?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: building my score

Welcome to the forums ! First, I would recommend pulling a FICO score if you haven't already ~ this will give you an idea of where you stand. What kinds of negatives are showing on your reports ? Removing them is usually attempted through sending goodwill letters ( GW ) to your creditors, requesting them to delete late payments or negative accounts.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you used your bank like BOA to get a secured card from your bank, in 6 months to a year it would be unsecured.

Sounds like you are not using your relationships to financial institutions correctly.

You have a bank account right?

Then the secured card should be with your bank.

If you did that, usually in 6 months they make it unsecured.

Some bank you don't do business with has had your money for 2 years and you are still secured?

That's first issue. IMO

Get a couple of store accounts too, where you shop. Department stores and jewelers are easy.

After 2 years you should have more than one secured card.

Unsecured store cards

Unsecured bank card with your bank

An auto loan

That's all realistic to almost anyone within 2 years.

Message 3 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you used your bank like BOA to get a secured card from your bank, in 6 months to a year it would be unsecured. Didn't happen for me, and I had a Bank of America checking and savings account since 2007, with no prior charge off with BOA. They refused to unsecure me so YMMV.

Sounds like you are not using your relationships to financial institutions correctly.

You have a bank account right?

Then the secured card should be with your bank.

If you did that, usually in 6 months they make it unsecured. Once again, YMMV. This is way too definitive.

Some bank you don't do business with has had your money for 2 years and you are still secured?

That's first issue. IMO

Get a couple of store accounts too, where you shop. Department stores and jewelers are easy.

After 2 years you should have more than one secured card.

Unsecured store cards

Unsecured bank card with your bank

An auto loan

That's all realistic to almost anyone within 2 years.

I am not disagreeing with your advice as it is solid. but it sure isn't one size fits all like you make it sound like. Many people have a much larger uphill battle; not all of us could get to those simple things after 2 years of repairing and rebuilding.

Your sig indicates you were a ghost in the bureaus... So you have been building credit, after being a ghost, so what you are saying is very, very plausible for anyone in your situation.

But for people with major derogs? like judgments? tax liens? 19 collections? repos? charge offs? forclosure?

It is not as cut an dry as you have been posting.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

the negatives that are on my report are a car not that I paid of. and a credit union loan that was also paid off/charged off

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

the negatives that are on my report are a car not that I paid of. and a credit union loan that was also paid off/charged off

If they are paid, try sending GW letters requesting them to either delete the accounts or clear the negatives/late payments.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.