cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a OC charge off an account and continue to add lates?

tag
tjc
Established Member

can a OC charge off an account and continue to add lates?

I had an auto loan that my ex wife was responsible for as per divorce decree.  She never made the last payment that was due three years ago and was charged off.  last september I bit the bullet and paid it off.  I was later reviewing myfico report and it states that the last missed payment i had was the month prior to my paying this account off.  also I have 120 days late x 28 reporting on this account as well.

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
britishbooklady
Regular Contributor

Re: can a OC charge off an account and continue to add lates?

Have you considered sending a GW letter? 

Starting Score: EX: 661, EQ: 662, TU: 694 [Lender Pull 12/30/2010]
Current Score: EX: 665, EQ: 680, TU: 710
Goal Score: EX: 750+, EQ: 750+, TU: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2011
Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@tjc wrote:

I had an auto loan that my ex wife was responsible for as per divorce decree.  She never made the last payment that was due three years ago and was charged off.  last september I bit the bullet and paid it off.  I was later reviewing myfico report and it states that the last missed payment i had was the month prior to my paying this account off.  also I have 120 days late x 28 reporting on this account as well.

Thanks for the help

Yes, once the account is CO'd, until it is paid, they can add lates.  Once paid they cannot.

Message 3 of 7
tjc
Established Member

Yes I did try a GW letter in Feb. but no response back.  I called them in December and explianed the situation to them and they said to bad that Im still liable even though my ex is responsable, I understand their point of view if there was a balacne still showing, however I paid this off and they were still unwilling to do anything. 

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A charge-off is really nothing more than an internal accounting measure taken by the OC.

It has no effect on the continued delinquency status of the account other than, if it was not already closed, doing the CO would close the account.

They cant write off the debt as uncollectible, and yet keep the account open to further debt.

If they continued to bill you after the CO, that could result in additional delinquencies.  Did they continue to bill you after the CO?

If they did not, you could argue lack of delinquency in payment on the closed account.

Message 5 of 7
tjc
Established Member

I never recieved a bill when I foind out avout this and called I asked why they never billed and they told me that the bill was sent to my ex... I asked why they never called and again they always called the ex.... I really dont know what to do maybe send a 639 ( i think thats what its called) and have them varify that the billing was correct?

Message 6 of 7
tjc
Established Member

Actually after looking at the account it is listed as a collection.... can they still add lates to a collection?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.