Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can an au hurt your credit

tag
notyours
Contributor

can an au hurt your credit

I am rebuilding.. if I add my husband as an au user can it hurt my score or vis versa
Thanks
GW success 30 day late removed from 2 store accounts.
waiting on Citibank SL GW response --
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: can an au hurt your credit

It depends upon whether the authorized user is granted use of the account, such as a card.

The principal card holder is obligated, and any use he makes will be reported to the account, affecting your score, and then indirectly, his.

If the authorized user is not granted use of the account, then your use will affect his score, but not visa-versa.

As for possible affect on the AU, assuming your history results in a score gain for him, that is all gravy provided a potential creditor accepts the fact of his scoring being based on credit history that is not his.  If a potential creditor bases their determination primarily or solely on a FICO score, then the AU will help.  That is the case with many lower-principal types of new credit.

However, if he should app for credit wherein the creditor does a more detailed review of his CR, they may balk at accepting his score when it is based on the history of another.

Having no way to back out your history from his score, it might lessen the value of the score to their determination.  Creditor decision that is hard to predict.

Message 2 of 6
sunshine24
New Contributor

It only hurts if the bill doesn't get paid! I added my son as an AU to my oldest, perfectly paid card right before he turned 18. It's helped his score greatly and hasn't hurt me at all.

Starting Score: 608 EQ (FICO) 8/11/11
Current Score: 713 EQ (FICO) 2/14/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
notyours
Contributor

Thanks my husbands file is so thin it doesn't even have a score
GW success 30 day late removed from 2 store accounts.
waiting on Citibank SL GW response --
Message 4 of 6
sunshine24
New Contributor

Right after my son turned 18, we tried to pull his score and his file was too thin even though I'd added him to the one card. So, I added him to my Macy's account (a couple years old, low balance and also perfectly paid)  and was then able to pull a score - which came out at 732 - higher than mine, the little brat! Then he was able to get an account on his own and is establishing himself but I'll leave him on my cards forever, just to get the longer average age of accounts.

Starting Score: 608 EQ (FICO) 8/11/11
Current Score: 713 EQ (FICO) 2/14/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Jess421
Contributor

I added myself to my husbands credit card and it helped my score and didnt hurt his.  I think the only thing that hurts is if the utilization is high or there are missed payments.  If that happens it will show  up on the AU"s report as well.

Starting Score: CK 519 FICO 498
Current Score: 2/26/13 FICO 590 TU FAKO 639
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.