Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one help and portfolio recovery help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

capital one help and portfolio recovery help

I disputed capital one online before reading all this info on this forum. Then I sent validation letters and finally got an answer. They want me to send them

The full name of the cardmember indicated on account.

The full account #

Social security #

current address

detailed explanation of request

a copy of the page from my credit report indicating the account refrenced.

They want me to mail info then will will do investigation.

Is this how this process is supposed to work? seems like that is alot of info to have to give and they should have all of it since they are reporting it on credit reports.

Also I finally got answer from portfolio recovery as well- its a letter head stating this establishes validity.

The letter following is so plain and looks like they made it up. I could have made a more professional looking letter.They spelled my last name wrong.

It just says the following

capital one bank usa

seller reply:

Sent: wednesday Sept 10 2014

To: Disputes

Subject: Please confirm account was paid for

There is no record of this account being paid.

There is no other info.

All they did was type this up. I dont know how they can even get away with this.

Can anyone tell me what to do for both of these? Portfolio I did send email to address i got from member on here so I am awaiting response. But, I am so confused and lost on how to deal with there errors. We were trying to buy a home in March and I am getting no where with all the errors and incorrect info on my reports. Capital one is the worse. I had a bankruptcy in 2007 and did include an account with them- they updated it to show in bankruptcy but shows paid in full/charge off. How can it be both? I actually have 2 accounts with them reporting paid in full/charge off. They keep verifing this info to. Im lost!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

Re: capital one help and portfolio recovery help

Your best bet regarding Portfolio Recovery is to file a complaint with the BBB citing that they did not verify the account as required under FCRA - what they provided you is NOT adequate validation. I did this regarding 3 accounts that were listed on my CR by them, and got all three deleted! They had provided me with the same typed up info they gave you.

In regards to Capital One, what info did you provide them? If they had your name/address and even a partial account number from your credit report etc., they should have been able to locate your account for you. You're right; it's not your job to do that for them. I would either file a complaint with the consumer financial protection bureau or the bbb stating that you asked for validation, they were unable to locate the account and provide the information you requested, and are refusing to delete the acct from your credit bureau. I have had much better success getting the BBB and CFPB involved rather than going back and forth between the creditor/collection company and credit bureaus. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Starting Score: 467 EQ 514 TU 583 EX
Current Score: 531 EQ 567 TU 601 EX
Goal Score: EQ 742 TU 742 EX 742

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: capital one help and portfolio recovery help

Thanks so much for your help and I will follow all your advice and hope this works out. So stressful! Capital one I gave the normal info in my request, The account info and name and phone #. I never gave my social security # because I didnt think it was a good idea to give more info then necessary plus I disputed it several times so someone should figure it out- or so i thought lol- i really appreciate the advice!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.