Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charge off account question

tag
chbartel
Regular Contributor

charge off account question

If an account is set as "charged off" and/or "collection/charge-off" should the balance show as 0 on credit report?  My two Cap1 entries show a balance, yet others that went to collections were marked as 0. Should I dispute the amount as invalid as it's now a judgement on my report?  It's showing as both a judgement for the amount of charge off and the Cap1 entry shows the balance as well....

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: charge off account question

@chbartel wrote:

If an account is set as "charged off" and/or "collection/charge-off" should the balance show as 0 on credit report?  My two Cap1 entries show a balance, yet others that went to collections were marked as 0. Should I dispute the amount as invalid as it's now a judgement on my report?  It's showing as both a judgement for the amount of charge off and the Cap1 entry shows the balance as well....

If the OC sells the account to a JDB then they have to 0 out the balance, if a CA is reporting a 0 balance and they were working on it for Cap-1 then their TL should be gone since it would have been recalled and they have no collection authority. There is nothing wrong with the OC showing a balance since its owed as evidenced by the judgment and the judgment can be showing as well, there could actually be 1 more reporting if they were to turn the judgment over to a CA to collect, their entry would be  valid as well.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.