Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charge off reported twice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

charge off reported twice

Hello,

I noticed after pulling my scored that there was an almost 50pt difference between my Ex score and my others so I did some investigating. Ex is listing an old electric bill I took out a number of years ago. The account was opened Sept 2008. In 2010 I moved out of state so the account was closed. There was a remaining balance on the account of 300 dollars. The account was charged off but has since been paid in full. My concern, however, is that the electric company (nstar electric) reported the charge off in Jan 2011 and again in Oct 2012. Both charge offs are reflected under the same account (not under nstar and a collection agency for example). Nstar is reporting two charge offs on the same account. I'm not disputing that there was a past due balance but I did pay it off in full. My issue is with is being listed as charged off twice.. Can they do this? What are my options here?

Oh, I feel like it's important to note that this is the only credit score reflecting these charge offs. An nstar account isn't even listed on my Trans or Eq scores at all.

Thanks for the help! Really trying hard to repair my credit.

Eq: 659

Trans: 688

Ex: 641

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: charge off reported twice

Same thing happened to me years ago.  I had a Cap1 credit card charge-off.  It reported the CO initially, then again when I paid it off several months later.  I disputed that thing every way possible, but it always came back as verified, and it resulted in the Date of last Delinquincy as the second charge-off, and seven years after that before it dropped off my reports.  It had gone to a collection agent, and they dropped the derog from my reports after I paid it, but Cap1 wouldn't budge one inch.  It was about $800.  I paid it before I got educated on these forums, otherwise it would probably have gone differently.  Still have sour grapes over that one.  Live and learn I did. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I noticed after pulling my scored that there was an almost 50pt difference between my Ex score and my others so I did some investigating. Ex is listing an old electric bill I took out a number of years ago. The account was opened Sept 2008. In 2010 I moved out of state so the account was closed. There was a remaining balance on the account of 300 dollars. The account was charged off but has since been paid in full. My concern, however, is that the electric company (nstar electric) reported the charge off in Jan 2.011 and again in Oct 2012. Both charge offs are reflected under the same account (not under nstar and a collection agency for example). Nstar is reporting two charge offs on the same account. I'm not disputing that there was a past due balance but I did pay it off in full. My issue is with is being listed as charged off twice.. Can they do this? What are my options here?

Oh, I feel like it's important to note that this is the only credit score reflecting these charge offs. An nstar account isn't even listed on my Trans or Eq scores at all.

Thanks for the help! Really trying hard to repair my credit.

Eq: 659

Trans: 688

Ex: 641

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The creditor only does a charge-off once, but can continue to report that it was charged-off in subsequent reportings.

There is thus a difference between reporting a charge-off more than once and reporting that they have taken multiple charge-offs.

Can you post exactly how it has reported?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In history it's reported as 90 plus days late 2 times in Jan 2011 and Oct 2012. The payment status between 1/11 and 10/12 is reported as okay. This just makes no sense to me because I moved in 2010 (first out of state and back in with my parents so I did not have an electric account in my name) then again 3000 miles away where there was no nstar electric. I don't understand how it can be reported that the account status was "ok" between those dates. In fact, it states the date the account was opened was Sept 2008 (which completely makes sense) but it isn't reporting anything during that time. The first report was the 1/11 charge off. Sorry if I sound Ignorant, I am very new to this!

Thanks
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would speculate that the OK entries in your payment history profile over that period represent no reporting by the creditor for those months.

CRAs often enter OK if they receive no monthly update, which would not denote that the account was paid back into good standing, but rather that no update was received.

If they originally did a CO in 2011, then any reporting done after that date can include the fact that they have previously taken a CO.

You can contct them and get clarification of their reporting, but it does not appear to be inaccurate.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give me some advice. I just wanted to post a little update. I did go ahead anyways and attempt to dispute the CO with Ex. I figured there wasnt much harm in trying. I received an email today confirming that they were unable to verify the CO and both were deleted from my report! That was above and beyond what I was hoping for.. I though at best I could get one removed. My score jumped up by 48 points!

EQ: 668
TU: 691
EX: 689
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.