Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checking account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

checking account

Anybody have any suggestions for getting an second chance checking account? I am listed in chexsystems and having an hard time getting a checking acct. Are there any online banks or other banks that don't check chexsystems? I'm looking to purchase a home in 6 months and need a checking account.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Re: checking account

Not sure about your area, but I was able to get a 2nd chance checking account at WoodForest Bank a few years ago.  They are located in the Walmart's around here.  

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 2 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

I believe Chase does second chance checking accounts or google credit unions that does not check chexsystems.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 9
camera_jen
New Contributor

Chase does second chance checking accounts.  The catch is that if your balance is below $100 you can't use your debit card, you have to take out cash.  So if your balance is $110 and you swipe your debit card for $11, it will go through fine.  But it would decline if your balance was $99.  They also don't give you actual checks, just a debit card.  After 6 months, they switch you to a normal checking account and you can have checks again.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at Capital One 360.

Message 5 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Anybody have any suggestions for getting an second chance checking account? I am listed in chexsystems and having an hard time getting a checking acct. Are there any online banks or other banks that don't check chexsystems? I'm looking to purchase a home in 6 months and need a checking account.

Have you requested a copy of your Chexsystems report yet?   Be sure to do that if you haven't.   IME, CUs may be a good route to go for checking.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 9
Sheridan
Regular Contributor

I believe BBVA Compass bank has 2nd chance checking. 

Message 7 of 9
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

Fifth third bank has a basic checking account. you have to apply for a regular account and they will counter offer you the basic account if your on chexsystems. It has a 8 dollar monthly fee with direct deposit and they refund all foreign atm charges. I have had this account for 5 months and I hadn't a single problem. They will upgrade you to a regular account in 12 months if you do good on it.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bigger questions, why not just pay off the old account?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.