cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clarification needed

tag
clpoag

clarification needed

In the past 2 days I have made major headway on getting items resolved.  I have researched each medical collection on my credit report and have obtained the OC and their contact information, account number, CA and their contact information and the amount owed.  So far I have been able to pay 2 out of 6 directly to the OC with no issues.  I am working on paying the others directly as well.  I want to be sure I am sending letters out in the correct order so I have made a list of steps for myself and would like to know if someone can verify them. 

1. pay collections to OC only.  obtain receipts of payment.

2. opt out with the CRAs (I already sent this request in)

3. opt out with OCs in good standing (have letters prepared to mail out - i will send these CMRRR)

4. ensure information is up to date with all CRAs (already done)

5. send out Pre-HIPPA letter to CRAs after receiving confirmation from OC or the 30 days in letter has elapsed (do I really need to wait for a response or the 30 days?)

I am hoping to get this all done ASAP.  I have paid down my only other account (fingerhut with $200 CL paid down to $0 balance) and have opened a secured card with the Credit Union I bank with ($300 limit no charges so far). 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: clarification needed

Unfortunately the HIPAA process isn't supported on these forums. IMO, I'd suggest sending a DV to the CA and if they verify send a PFD. The HIPAA process does not guarantee a deletion. There are many who posted it didn't work 100% for them. I personally wouldn't want to mail $$$ only to have a paid CA report.

Message 2 of 6
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

I have had luck with 5 collections just by paying the OC on medical. The CA's then sent me letters that they were removing. I know the rest won't be this easy as I have heard some bad things about a few of them but it has worked with some so far. That is how I am going to do the rest and cross my fingers!

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The opt-out process is related to nofifying the CRAs that you wish your name excluded from lists of consumers they provide to parties wishing to make firm offfers for credit that were not initiated by a consumer.  It prevents further unsolicted offers for credit or insurance.

How are you attempting to "opt out" with existing creditors or debt collectors?

Message 4 of 6
clpoag

RobertEG - I was told to send letters to each creditor in good standing informing them that they cannot share my information. I would have to actually look at the letter to get the citation. Something about Dodd-Frank.
Message 5 of 6
clpoag

Llecs - before I started on the hipaa path, I called the CAs to see if I could get PFDs to avoid all the work associated with the hipaa process and some refused to do PFDs. I was able to negotiate a PFD for 2 of the accounts held by NCO Financial and 2 of the OCs said they would still accept payments from me. I am hoping that the CAs will drop the collection now that I have paid the OC. If not, I will pursue the hipaa process.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.