cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection account

tag
soupbone

collection account

Any info anybody can share would be highly appreciate it. I have a pepco bill that was sent to collections in august. When the rep called me and explained the matter also letting me know to avoid this going on my credit I need to make a full payment or setup a payment arrangement so we immediately setup a payment plan in which it has been going fine. I recieved a alert yesterday stating I have a negative item. I checked my email and it was the CA putting the account in collections on my credit and when I called the rep she said they cant guarantee that it wont go on my credit only until up to that point when its paid off they can check and see but only when the entire debt has been settled. So now Im stuck with this blemish on my credit in which I was buying a home in Jan or Feb. My question is there anything that can be done or I have to accept it?Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Re: collection account

Thats sh*tty.  I'd stop paying them and send them a PFD since you never got the agreement in writing. 

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@soupbone wrote:

Any info anybody can share would be highly appreciate it. I have a pepco bill that was sent to collections in august. When the rep called me and explained the matter also letting me know to avoid this going on my credit I need to make a full payment or setup a payment arrangement so we immediately setup a payment plan in which it has been going fine. I recieved a alert yesterday stating I have a negative item. I checked my email and it was the CA putting the account in collections on my credit and when I called the rep she said they cant guarantee that it wont go on my credit only until up to that point when its paid off they can check and see but only when the entire debt has been settled. So now Im stuck with this blemish on my credit in which I was buying a home in Jan or Feb. My question is there anything that can be done or I have to accept it?Thanks

This is a bit of a tough one since you've already acknowledged that the debt is yours (via your payments), and presumably didn't get the agreement not to report in writing...? Ouch!

But, all might not be lost. This is one of those times that you'll want to tread very carefully, and attempt to catch the flies with a teaspoon of honey. You will want to attempt to obtain their written agreement to "not report" now (I know that they've already reported). I'd send a letter to the corporate HQ of the CA, remiding them of their agreement to not report as long as you stuck to the payment agreement. Remind them, very nicely, that you have stuck to your end of the bargain, but that you're becoming concerned that you have not recieved their promised agreement to not report. Remark that you're certain that it's an oversight on their part, and that you look forward to receiving that agreement in writing.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I definately would not stop paying them.  That would void the payment agrrement you have with them, and the next tthing you might get is a notice of legal action.

There is nothing to dispute under the FCRA or FDCPA.  You have acknowledged the debt, and reporting of the CA was permissible, as far as the CRA would be concerned, since they have collection authority.  The CRA wont interject itself into your personal contract dispute.  The action that you could take would be for breach of oral contract, but that becomes a he-said, she said. I would not recommend such action.

So, I agree.  Plead your case with those of higher management authority within the CA.

Message 4 of 5
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Didnt they void the payment agreement as well when not honoring their verbal contract?  If they want to bring forth the tapes to support a case as evidence wouldnt it also show they broke contract by not upholding their end of the bargain?

though sending the suggested letter is going to be a less resistant attempt.

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.