Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection agency vs oc

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: collection agency vs oc

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmmmmm well now i wonder ...i thought i was going the right direction.....but i guess their cant really be a bad direction at this point.....right?

No I think you are going in the right direction; I was merely stating what logically makes sense, the pulling it back from the CA, is in reality more involved. That's all..

People have success doing this, I was just saying its not required, so don't think its a slam dunk right away.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok..... so maybe instead of disbuting it with cra, maybe i should just stay in contact with hospital saying i have money to pay you as soon as you have your ca pull from my report..... i told them yesterday that my mortgage broker told me not to pay it unless they were willing to delete it from my credit report. That by paying it that would cause more damage then not paying because it brings it current....which is true, that is what she told me....the lady at hospital said she had to speak to someone else and would contact me today.... so maybe if they agree i should stay on top of hospital for them to get their ca to delete the info?????
Message 12 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok..... so maybe instead of disbuting it with cra, maybe i should just stay in contact with hospital saying i have money to pay you as soon as you have your ca pull from my report..... i told them yesterday that my mortgage broker told me not to pay it unless they were willing to delete it from my credit report. That by paying it that would cause more damage then not paying because it brings it current....which is true, that is what she told me....the lady at hospital said she had to speak to someone else and would contact me today.... so maybe if they agree i should stay on top of hospital for them to get their ca to delete the info?????

Paying a collection account will never amount in a point loss or gain. At least it shouldn't. The damage is done when it hits the report for the first time, and the damage lessens as the account ages. A collection account reporting a balance is the same as a collection report showing no balance. The only date that matters is the DOFD, date of first delqiuency of the original account. Loan officers don't often know exactly what makes a credit score tick.

Usually, it will have to be a unilateral thing for removal. The CO is not going to agree to pull back the account, have it removed and then accept payment. They will want payment, and in turn they will contact the CA and do the 'pulling back' if you will..

The bottom line is this, if you cannot get the CA to agree to a PFD, your only real option is to pay and either have the CO encourage the CA to remove the account, or you can good will the CA down the line after it is paid.

-scott

Message 13 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

No I think you are going in the right direction; I was merely stating what logically makes sense, the pulling it back from the CA, is in reality more involved. That's all..

People have success doing this, I was just saying its not required, so don't think its a slam dunk right away.

-scott

I actually think this is a pretty easy "fix" since the OC still owns the debt, its a fairly small amount ($200) and the OC did not report to the CRAs. I'll assume that the hospital doesn't have a real collection department and generally places their 30 day accounts with a commissioned CA. The CA placed the tradeline with the CRAs as a means of pressure to collect the debt, but they have no vested interest in the debt other than their commission. In most cases if the paper (debt) is recalled by the OC because of payment, the CA still gets their commission.

Made your deal with the hospital (OC) go ahead and ask for a goodwill or cash discount (typically 20-30%), then pay the OC directly. The OC is paid, the CA has nothing left to collect and generally will still get their commission. The CA listing should be dropped from the CR by the CA since the account is paid and especially since the CA never owned the debt in the first place.

Is it going to be this easy? Yes IMO in this case it should be, but then again it took me a year to fix an obvious error with Equifax requiring help from the BBB, so best of luck!

Message 14 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@rckstrscott wrote:

-scott

I actually think this is a pretty easy "fix" since the OC still owns the debt, its a fairly small amount ($200) and the OC did not report to the CRAs. I'll assume that the hospital doesn't have a real collection department and generally places their 30 day accounts with a commissioned CA. The CA placed the tradeline with the CRAs as a means of pressure to collect the debt, but they have no vested interest in the debt other than their commission. In most cases if the paper (debt) is recalled by the OC because of payment, the CA still gets their commission.

Made your deal with the hospital (OC) go ahead and ask for a goodwill or cash discount (typically 20-30%), then pay the OC directly. The OC is paid, the CA has nothing left to collect and generally will still get their commission. The CA listing should be dropped from the CR by the CA since the account is paid and especially since the CA never owned the debt in the first place.

Is it going to be this easy? Yes IMO in this case it should be, but then again it took me a year to fix an obvious error with Equifax requiring help from the BBB, so best of luck!

I don't agree it will be easy, but we shall see..

-scott

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a update, I contacted the ca and told them that they were mis-reporting to CRA on a debt they were not no longer authorized to collected. They told me that it was marked on my CRA when they were authorized to collect and that it was legal and they would not remove it and that they were no longer attempting to collect the debt. I told them that the courts had already ruled that marking someone's credit report is a attempt to collect a debt and that they needed to speak to their legal dept because I planned to sue them.

2 days later they removed it from my credit report

a new collection agency contacted me about the bills. They have not marked my credit report so I paid them

Thanks to everyone

Tom

Message 16 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Excellent ! Glad it worked out....

Message 17 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

+1

i owe pipeguy a steak... apparently it WAS that easy Smiley Wink

-scott

Message 18 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Everybody gets lucky once in a while, even me Smiley Surprised

Message 19 of 20
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!

You were lucky!

Your  "threat" had no legal basis, in that their reporting was accurate.  They reported their collection authority on the debt, which is not a disputed fact.

So-called "pulling back of a collection" is simply termination of future collection authority, not a "pull back" of their prior authority or CRA reporting.

Nothing requires them to delete accurate reporting based upon later termination of that authority, payment of the debt, or instructions from the OC.

Kinda lucky, in my opinion, that your threat did not raise their dander, and lead to a game of hard-ball.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.