cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection inquiry after DV... should I be nervous?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

collection inquiry after DV... should I be nervous?

Law offices of Kevin Shine (square two financial Collection company) has a hard inquiry posted OCT 26.

I DV'd them back in march, certified return receipt, and never heard a word from them. Was trying to save up the money to pay it and give me some time to keep it off my reports until then. I have saved 30% of the debt (3k).

What does the inquiry mean? Im just wondering if I should offer them the 30% I have saved or leave it be until they contact me. I just dont want this to go on my reports, the original charge off is from a Key Bank student loan, and they have sold the debt/written it off to square two. They sold it in November 2011, and sent first dunning notice in march. DV'd the day I got the letter by fax and certified mail. Havent heard a word since.

Should I contact them to offer what I have in hopes of keeping it off my report, or should I wait it out and continue to save until I have a better offer to give?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: collection inquiry after DV... should I be nervous?

It can't hurt to ask them about a settlement. If you do, ask them about removing the hard pull as well.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You sent them a DV right when you got the first dunning notice?   Now they have done a HP without having answered your DV?  I do believe that is an attempt to collect the debt without validating it and is a FDCPA violation.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

/bong smash

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 16
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

thats what I was thinking, but It just happened three days ago. My fear is that they mailed it out already and I should get the validation soon. I dont know what to do though.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 16
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Just an update: I emailed their compliance email (the only info I could find) because my fax wouldnt go through. kept saying their line was busy.

I saw their BBB complaints, and the first one I read mentioned that they offered the person a 38% settlement. So I figured I would email them my 30% settlement offer, and if they accept, great, or if they up it to 40% or something I can have that within 30 days. Hopefully I can get this debt behind me, It was a huge mistake that I honestly had no idea about. College kid mistake.

I also mailed them a letter, hopefully they will accept my offer or give me another settlement offer. I always wonder how much they pay for debt? lol

Message 6 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

It's pennies on the dollar.

They're making their money. Don't worry.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 16
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

It's pennies on the dollar.

They're making their money. Don't worry.

Ok, well cross your fingers for me. This is my only debt out there, and Its been such a dark cloud for the longest. They havent reported a collection yet, so Im hoping to get the settlement. I included that they not report to any CRAs if they agree to the settlement. That would be fantastic!

Message 8 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Good work there!  Best of luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 16
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

AHHHH, sorry to keep this thread going, but theres more... I just received an email back and the letter agrees to the settlement, but doesnt say anything about removing their hard inquiry, or not reporting it to the CRAs.

Should I pay to be done with this, and just hope that they dont report a collection? Like I said, they arent reporting anything right now, if I pay they would have less of a reason to, right?

What would you do? I dont want to miss out, and would love to get this off of my chest!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.