Did you mean: 

collection process question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collection process question

First question
I had a medical bill in 2014 that i "forgot" to pay. small amount: 170

I must have missed the notices but it was assigned to a CA. CA never reported to the bureaus.

I called the hospital and they told me i had one outstanding that was sent to the CA. I was transferred to the CA and I asked if they were going to report it. They said if they did, it would have showed up by now. something about menial amounts not reported blahblah.

So I payed with verbal confirmation that it probably wont be posted. It was a small amount that I didnt want to go through all the hoops for either party. they said the balance has been marked PIF.

Do you think they will post it to my CR? How would that work exactly if they did? Will they show from 2014 to date that i havent paid until today? Or will a new account just show up next month with a 0 balance.

Second question

A collection has disappeared from my credit but it's definitely not the 7 year mark yet.

If a new CA were to buy the debt, they'll send me the dunning notice blah blah. If I pay that upon receipt of the notice, will they report to the bureaus? Techinically I'm not late with that CA. Will they report the same as the previous CA or would it be a new one. If i pay, then it shouldnt be repoted to the bureaus right?

your knowledge and guidance helps a lot! Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: collection process question

With respect to question 1, the debt collector could, if they had collection authority at time you paid the debt, report the collection to the CRA.

If they chose to do so, they would simultaneously have to show closed, $0 balance.  It is unlikely that they will do so, bu they could.  However, it would serve no business purpose on their part, and they will likely not take the time or effort to report.

As for question 2, there is no requirment that a debt collector send dunning notice prior to reporting.

They can report without any prior contact with or notice to the consumer.

Case law generally holds that reporting to a CRA triggers requirement to send dunning notice, so at best, they would then be required to send dunning notice within 5 days after reporting.

If you were to determine the name of the new debt collector and pay them, you would then have the same scenario as question 1 (i.e., they could report, but it would be unlikely).  You could, however, when contacting the new debt collector, obtain a pay for not reporting agreement, thus precluding any reporting.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful info, as always

You were right about me being golden for the other account. All gone within 3 days
Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

For thr second question, if you can get them to not report in return for your payment as Robert mentioned, that would be the best option for your situation.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.