Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection removal help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collection removal help

So...I had a delinquent at&t account go to sw credit for collection. I pulled my credit and saw that sw credit reported it to my equifax. When I contacted sw credit, I was told that the account was sent back to at&t. I contacted at&t and paid the balance off in hopes of having the collection removed. Why is sw credit reporting to my equifax if they only briefly had my account and returned it to at&t? The debt has since been paid off directly to at&t. Does sw credit have a legitimate reason for staying on my credit if they only briefly had the account? How can I have this removed? I contacted sw and they were no help. Please help
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: collection removal help

Sent you a PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in a similar situation with Sprint. Do you have any advice?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the collection authority of a debt collector is terminated and the debt is still unpaid, then the debt collector is required under the credit reporting agreement set forth in the CRA reporting manual to delete their reported collection.

File a dispute with the CRA, including evidence of termination of their collection authority  before you paid the debt, and request deletion of the reported collection per the credit reporting policy set forth in the CRA reporting manual ("Credit Reporting Resource Guide").

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would at&t have the information I need? Could they perhaps provide me with documentation showing the debt was returned to them prior to me paying it? Thank you for your help.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, you can attempt to obtain documentation from the OC as to whether they had terminated their collection authority.

Another option, since the debt collector told you directly that their authority had been terminated, would be to file a direct dispute with the debt collector, asserting inaccurate reporting of a terminated collection.  If they agree with your assertion, as docmented by their statement, they should delete as a result in their finding in the direct dispute.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.