cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection removed and SCORE GOES DOWN????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collection removed and SCORE GOES DOWN????

I am at the end of my rope with this FICO system.  Jan 8 my Experian score was a 647.  Yesterday I sucessfully had an invalid collection removed and my score went DOWN 8 f*#$ing points?!?!?

All of my payments have been made and I went from a 25% revolving debt usage to 0% utilization.  How in the world can FICO punish me for getting an invalid collection deleted and paying down my CC??

Nothing and I mean NOTHING else in my report has changed!  No late payments, no new inquires or accounts!!!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: collection removed and SCORE GOES DOWN????

How old was the collection?  It may have been helping the age of your credit history.
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection was from 2005.  I don't buy that FICO would make having an old collection worth more than the amount of time it's been there!
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

0% utilization is not a positive factor for Fico scoring - I hear that 5%-10% is weighted more favorably

Account history weight depends on your overall account history lenght - if you have all recent account (5 years is still recent), losing even one is weighted negatively.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collections that are properly reporting as a collection in the collection sections of your CR are NOT counted in your age of accounts.

Collections that are misreported as a  regular TL may be counted in your age.

As mentioned, 0% util is not a positive thing. The reason is because FICO scores how well you manage your credit. To the FICO scoring model, if you aren't using it, you aren't managing it. Letting just 1% report should increase your score.

If the collection being removed and the util going to 0% were your only changes, I'd say it is the util that caused the 8 point decrease.

Also, if this was your only collection, it is possible that you were re-bucketed, which could have caused a score change but is actually a good thing.

Also, I just want to double check that these are actual FICO scores gotten from this website that you are looking at?

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, both scores were purchased from myfico.com.  (I used the new promo code!)  I have one other collection that I am working on so it was not my only collection.  Also the collection was being reported under the collection section of my credit reports. 
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

JMW331 wrote:
Yes, both scores were purchased from myfico.com.  (I used the new promo code!)  I have one other collection that I am working on so it was not my only collection.  Also the collection was being reported under the collection section of my credit reports. 

Ok, then I think it is fairly safe to say the score drop didn't come from rebucketing or losing age.

I would say that it came from having 0% util reported. Let as little as 1% report and see what happens.

Message 7 of 20
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Account history weight depends on your overall account history lenght - if you have all recent account (5 years is still recent), losing even one is weighted negatively.

demed,

Doesn't it depend on WHICH one of his accounts he might lose? I was under the impression that the average age of accounts was a factor for FICO.

Let's say I have 4 accounts that are 5 years old and one that is only a few months old.

Shouldn't my average age of accounts increase if I get rid of the "youngest" one?

Unless this "young" account was the first account established (which could be the case if it was closed), I don't see a reason why a removal would do any harm in regards to history or length. A removal would neither "shorten" the total length of credit on file nor the average age of accounts.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have 4 accounts exactly 5 years old and no other accounts. Then your length of history would be 5 years and your AAoA would be 5 years.  4*5=20/4=5

If you lose one of those accounts, your length of history would still be 5 years and your AAoA would still be 5 years. 3*5=15/3=5

However, not many have accounts that are all the same age. If you have 4 accounts that are 5 years old and 2 accounts that are 2 year old, your length of history would be 5 years and your AAoA would be 4 years old.

(4*5) + (2*2) = 24/6 = 4

Remove one of the 5 year old accounts and your length would still be 5 years, but your AAoA would be be 3.8 years.   (3*5) + (2*2) = 19/5 = 3.8

So, really it just depends on how old each account  on your report is and which account gets removed.

Again though, collections properly report are not counted in age.

Message 9 of 20
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

However, not many have accounts that are all the same age. If you have 4 accounts that are 5 years old and 2 accounts that are 2 year old, your length of history would be 5 years and your AAoA would be 4 years old.

(4*5) + (2*2) = 24/6 = 4

Remove one of the 5 year old accounts and your length would still be 5 years, but your AAoA would be be 3.8 years.   (3*5) + (2*2) = 19/5 = 3.8

So, really it just depends on how old each account  on your report is and which account gets removed.

Thanks, sidewinder!

Using your second example, the AAoA would increase if one of the 2 year old accounts would be removed.

(4*5) + (1*2) = 22/5 = 4.4

So AAoA-wise, you can actually be BETTER off by losing an account - it just depends on which.

That's exactly what I thought...

Message Edited by ScoreBooster on 01-20-2009 03:27 PM
Message Edited by ScoreBooster on 01-20-2009 03:28 PM
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.