Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection verification

tag
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

collection verification

Not getting this....I requested through the CB to have a collection verified along with the DOFD (because I believe Portfolio has it wrong) and the only thing Portfolio can verify is the CC statement (which shows payment due date, amount and CC number) but thats not what I want verified!! And now, they are reporting it as open and making it look like a new collection. Its due to come off this year, now what?!!? Can they really do this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: collection verification

Is the statement the last statement before becoming delinquent?  Or does it already show that you are past due?  Maybe the statement is to show the DOFD that you have disputed.  Is this debt paid?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: collection verification

It is unclear from the post whether you sent a request for verification of the debt under the FDCPA or you sent a dispute of the accuracy or the reported DOFD under FCRA 611(a).

If it was a dispute filed with the CRA, which is apparently the case,  verification of the reported DOFD does not require that they provide any documentation.

They need only provide a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation that states that the reported DOFD is verified as accurate.

In fact, the debt collector would not send anything to you.  It would all be done via the CRA.  Are you saying that the CRA sent a Notice of Results of REinvestigatin,and included a prior billing statement from the OC?

Reporting of the results of the dispute would not affect the ultimate exclusion date of the collection, which is controlled only by the DOFD.

It is unclear as to how it is now being reported as a "new collection."

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.