Did you mean: 

collections handle by lawyers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: collections handle by lawyers

redgirl i would suggest sending a DV letter to the CA like this:

****PULLED STRAIGHT FROM Noah_Bodie's DV THREAD****

FDCPA requires a CA to send you an initial written notice containing these five things:

(1) the amount of the debt;
(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;
(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and
(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

If the CA does not include these, they are in violation of FDCPA. Save the written notice you receive. Your lawyer will be happy you did.

Regardless, now is the time to request validation. Debt Validation is a powerful weapon. Use it.

Letter (be sure to have your name and account number)
"You claim I owe you a debt. In accordance with FDCPA, send me validation of this debt."

Send the DV letter CMRRR, save your CM receipt, save your RRR green card when it comes back, save your USPS receipt (CM # is on it), photocopy your signed DV letter and save that. Also include a reference line at the top of your letter.

USPS CERTIFIED MAIL xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

theres alot of good info on this site. just gotta search for it. i like to always verify with my own thread but i always first search for it to get some sort of understanding before making a new thread.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

redgirl77 wrote:
before me and my husband got married he had the car, he let it go back, don't really know the reason. A lawyer office is not handling the case, but will not put in writing when and how much the car was sold for. but they will tell me over the phone. but gave me some junk to why he couldn't put it in writing. I told them that we can't give u any money unless we get it in writing. they still won't burge, they want to settle for 8,000 dollars.

If the lawyer office is not handling the case and the OC isn't, then who is? And why are you dealing with the lawyers office?

Send them a DV letter, CMRRR.

Who is reporting on your CR?
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for correcting me, there is a lawyer that is handling the account now, but will not send me the required documents. I have been getting some very helpful information on this site, I want to thank everyone for their help.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.