cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collections

tag
busyscmom

collections

I have 2 collections showing up on my credit report.  They were both medical bills for my daughter that her father was court ordered to pay.  They ended up in my name because I took her to the doctor and used my insurance.  They were several years old and he was nevr going to pay them, so I eventually paid them myself.  Is there any way to have them removed?  They're killing my credit score.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

Re: collections

I've never had medical collections, but read many stories of those who have and got them removed.  The process is different from removing say a credit card collection.  Type HIPPA in the search to get the more info.

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you chose to use your insurance, and thus assume responsibility for the debt, then why would you not be legally obligated?

Perhaps another might ultimately be legally obligated, but that would seem to me to be a secondary issue between you and that party once you authorized use of your insurance.

Looks like a good reason to put in a GW request, but I dont see an argument for asserting it is not your debt.

Message 3 of 5
busyscmom

In South Carolina, the parent whose birthday is first in the calendar year has primary insurance for children.  My birthday is in Feb.,so my insurance is the primary insurance carrier and her father's is secondary since his birthday is in August.  So I didn't "choose" to use my insurance...it's the law in our state.

Message 4 of 5
westo12
Established Contributor

That's an odd law.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.