cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

common credit questions for a newbie.........

tag
adio413
Regular Contributor

common credit questions for a newbie.........

hi all,

i'm brand new here so please bear with me.............

so, i have collections and charge-offs on my credit report. my credit score is between 535 and 500 and i would like to buy a house by the end of next year. the majority of my charge offs and collections have open dates between 2007 and 2009 and are debts between $61 ( the lowest) and $3500 ( the highest).

my plan is to:
1. send debt validation letters to a few collection agencies
2. if they validate them, i would send a pay for deletion letter and see what they say. if they don't validate them, then they would come off of my credit report.
3. if they say ' no ' to my pay for deletion letter, then i would send settlement letters and take it from there

1.) when i send debt validation letters to the collection agencies, more than likely, will i receive a letter showing the "validation" from them?

2.) if they completely ignore my letter , even though i'll ask for 30days to validate the debt, what should i do then?

3.) if i do a PFD letter and the company says ' no, we don't do that', should i be persistent and keep trying? if i should keep trying should i do it through letters or phone calls or both?

i read many times in different websites and forums that paying for collections and/or charge offs (whether they are paid in full or settlements)won't raise your credit score at all!! BUT i was told by a few credit counselors that pay for deletion letters don't work and that if i offer settlements, that i can expect to see my scores rise after 60 - 90 days after the payment is done. is that true? it seems just paying the settlements shows people that you paid something on the debt and thats all.

and what does "GW" on here stand for?
thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: common credit questions for a newbie.........

Start here (also):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/td-p/337142

GW = Good Will [letter], usually a, "Please do X because it's the right thing to do" letter.

EDIT: Paying or settling a collection typically will not affect your score at all, but may affect how your report looks in manual review. I'd be weary of these credit counselors.

Message 2 of 22
adio413
Regular Contributor

thanks cassembler. unfortunately, im still within the SOL. these debts on my credit report occured when i lived in pennsylvania, but i live in maryland now.... so idk if collection agencies would use the Pa or Md SOL and idk if i could use that info you linked to. also, i can't PIF either at this time.

anyone else?

Message 3 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sending a request for debt validation does not set any statutory period or requirement that they respond.  Penalty for not providing the requested debt verification is their cessation of collection activiites until such time as they choose to provide verification.

If they decide to suspend collection activites, that is their option.

Showing satisfaction of a debt is not trivial.... it informs others that you have fulfilled your debt obligation.  It goes beyond just a three-digit score.

Message 4 of 22
rredstick9
Valued Member

How do you pay for deletion letter?  What does it need to include and how does it work?

thanks I am new too!

Message 5 of 22
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@adio413 wrote:

hi all,

i'm brand new here so please bear with me.............

so, i have collections and charge-offs on my credit report. my credit score is between 535 and 500 and i would like to buy a house by the end of next year. the majority of my charge offs and collections have open dates between 2007 and 2009 and are debts between $61 ( the lowest) and $3500 ( the highest).

my plan is to:
1. send debt validation letters to a few collection agencies
2. if they validate them, i would send a pay for deletion letter and see what they say. if they don't validate them, then they would come off of my credit report.
3. if they say ' no ' to my pay for deletion letter, then i would send settlement letters and take it from there

1.) when i send debt validation letters to the collection agencies, more than likely, will i receive a letter showing the "validation" from them?

2.) if they completely ignore my letter , even though i'll ask for 30days to validate the debt, what should i do then?

3.) if i do a PFD letter and the company says ' no, we don't do that', should i be persistent and keep trying? if i should keep trying should i do it through letters or phone calls or both?

i read many times in different websites and forums that paying for collections and/or charge offs (whether they are paid in full or settlements)won't raise your credit score at all!! BUT i was told by a few credit counselors that pay for deletion letters don't work and that if i offer settlements, that i can expect to see my scores rise after 60 - 90 days after the payment is done. is that true? it seems just paying the settlements shows people that you paid something on the debt and thats all.

and what does "GW" on here stand for?
thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

GW stands for "goodwill".

The collection counselors told you 10000% bad advice.  A settlement won't help your score, and it shows up as a settlement on your report "Settled for less than" yada yada which isn't a good statement to have.  PFD means there is nothing left for anyone to see.  Good thing you found the forum before you settled.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@rredstick9 wrote:

How do you pay for deletion letter?  What does it need to include and how does it work?

thanks I am new too!

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 7 of 22
adio413
Regular Contributor

thanks!!! very glad and appreciative to be here

Message 8 of 22
adio413
Regular Contributor

sending out 5 DV letters tomorow..............

Message 9 of 22
adio413
Regular Contributor

a few things on my CR that maybe y'all can help me with...............

cap one

XXXX-xxxx-xxxx

late dates: LAST LATE DATE 4/10

DATE REPORTED: 5/12

DATE LAST ACTIVITY: 2/10

DATE OPENED: 2/07

HIGH CREDIT: $1862

ECOA: B

BALANCE: $2683

ACCOUNT TYPE: REV

PAYMENTS REMAINING: $-

CURRENT STATUS: CHARGE OFF

HISTORICAL STATUS:

MO= 63    30=3   60= 3     90 = 9

AMOUNT PAST DUE $2683

ACCOUNT CLOSED AT CREDIT GRANTOR'S REQUEST

MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT

XXXX-XXXXX-XXXX

DATE REPORTED: 2/11

DATE LAST ACTIVITY: --/--

DATE OPENED: 08/09

HIGH CREDIT: $994

ECOA: B

BALANCE: $1222

TERMS: 001

PAYMENTS REMAINING: $1221

CURRENT STATUS: COLLECTION

HISTORICAL STATUS:

MO= 18  30= 0  60=  0 90=  0

AMOUNT PAST DUE $1222

these are 2 of the 3 big ones on my CR. at the time, i was living in pittsburgh, pa but i now live in maryland.

1. can i send DV letters to them or do a PFD letter?

2. what does the 'date of last activity' and 'date reported' mean?  what is the 'ECOA'?

3.why wouldn't midland put a date of last activity on there?

4. if i were to do a pfd letter, would i offer $ based on the high credit or  amount past due?

5. under historical status what does the 'mo' mean?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.