Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

couple questions and general advice/help requested

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

couple questions and general advice/help requested

Good afternoon all. Long time listener first time caller here! Anyhow I've been reading these forums for the past couple of months and I have to say wow they are amazing. It seems like lots of great advice from knowledgable people and everyone seems so nice and helpful. What a fantastic forum. Now onto my questions and hopefully some advice/help. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit after a divorce and a lot of stupid mistakes. I never took credit seriously and just destroyed mine. I have been on the comeback trail for about a yearish now. I currently have 3 open collections on my credit report. 1 I just paid and they agreed to a pay for delete and the other 2 I have disputed because they were my exwifes medical bills after we got divorced and I did not have to carry her on my insurance or anything. I'm guessing that it was one of those things where they still had me on record as her husband. Hopefully the disputes on those items will get them removed as well as the pfd. Once those happen then I have 4 judgements on my record from a while ago. 3 of the 4 have been paid and the 4th is one that I am looking for a lawyer to help resolve. That one is a bit of a complicated mess. When I look on credit karma my scores are 664 for both and my barclays card tells me my fico is 632. Ok that should give my background fairly well I think but feel free to ask me anything if I didn't cover something. Oh yeah I almost forgot I have a ton of inquiries as well from when I bought a car roughly a year ago. Silly me I went to 3 different dealerships looking for a car I wanted and I let all 3 try and get me loans. Needless to say but kapow and I had 21 hard pulls over the course of 2 months. OUCH!. On the positive side I currently have a barclay NFL card $500.00 limit, a quick silver with a $1500.00 limit, and a secured cap one with a $800.00 limit. I also picked up a khols store card to add to my mix. All of these get used to some extent but are paid off immediately. I typically have 0-5% utilization reported each month. My auto loan was just refinanced with cap one to get a bit lower rate and I have 0 late payments or anything for the past year. My question would be if I apply for a chase freedom card in a couple of months and possibly a amex blue would there be any chance for me to get them? Should I wait a lot longer for inquiries to fall off? Ultimately I really want 1 main rewards card to use for just about everything and 1 decent limit card for emergencies. Any advice on how I should proceed would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: couple questions and general advice/help requested

@Anonymous wrote:

Good afternoon all. Long time listener first time caller here! Anyhow I've been reading these forums for the past couple of months and I have to say wow they are amazing. It seems like lots of great advice from knowledgable people and everyone seems so nice and helpful. What a fantastic forum. Now onto my questions and hopefully some advice/help.

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit after a divorce and a lot of stupid mistakes. I never took credit seriously and just destroyed mine. I have been on the comeback trail for about a yearish now. I currently have 3 open collections on my credit report.   1 I just paid and they agreed to a pay for delete and the other 2 I have disputed because they were my exwifes medical bills after we got divorced and I did not have to carry her on my insurance or anything. I'm guessing that it was one of those things where they still had me on record as her husband. Hopefully the disputes on those items will get them removed as well as the pfd.

Once those happen then I have 4 judgements on my record from a while ago. 3 of the 4 have been paid and the 4th is one that I am looking for a lawyer to help resolve. That one is a bit of a complicated mess. When I look on credit karma my scores are 664 for both and my barclays card tells me my fico is 632. Ok that should give my background fairly well I think but feel free to ask me anything if I didn't cover something. Oh yeah I almost forgot I have a ton of inquiries as well from when I bought a car roughly a year ago. Silly me I went to 3 different dealerships looking for a car I wanted and I let all 3 try and get me loans. Needless to say but kapow and I had 21 hard pulls over the course of 2 months. OUCH!.  See about filing motions in the court that granted them to vacate on grounds they have been paid, if your state allows this then the paid ones can be removed from your report when the judge grants the motion. Inquiries affect your Fico score for 6 months to a year so I would not worry too much about them, also all auto related inquires over a 2 week period of time are counted by Fico as one as long as they a properly coded as auto related.

On the positive side I currently have a barclay NFL card $500.00 limit, a quick silver with a $1500.00 limit, and a secured cap one with a $800.00 limit. I also picked up a khols store card to add to my mix. All of these get used to some extent but are paid off immediately. I typically have 0-5% utilization reported each month. My auto loan was just refinanced with cap one to get a bit lower rate and I have 0 late payments or anything for the past year.

My question would be if I apply for a chase freedom card in a couple of months and possibly a amex blue would there be any chance for me to get them? With derogs on your report I would not be apping for these 2 cards until your report is cleaned.  Should I wait a lot longer for inquiries to fall off? They dont matter to Fico after 1 year as stated above but will remain on file for 2 years.  Ultimately I really want 1 main rewards card to use for just about everything and 1 decent limit card for emergencies. Any advice on how I should proceed would be very greatly appreciated.The bare minimum you want to maintain is 3 bankcards and 1 store card to drive your Fico, I would not have just 2 open revolving cards. Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: couple questions and general advice/help requested

Thanks so much for the advice. I appreciate it!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.